Side Blind Zone System Unvailable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At random times my 09 LTZ will give me a "Side Blind Zone System Unavailable" alert on the DIC and will stay on for about 5+ minutes. The weather is clear and sunny so it's not rain that is affecting it. The dealer said it's not throwing any codes so without seeing it happen they couldn't offer much help. Anyone else have this happen and if so what was the remedy?

Is it a sensor going bad? Loose connection somewhere?

CJC07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Happens to me all the time! I've taken it in several times, but there's nothing they can figure out to do.

Try to see if there's a theme about where or when it happens. Mine usually does it near major intersections. My Service guy said that the sensor can sometimes get confused in situations like that... I don't know if that's true or not.

Mine still functions perfectly most of the time. It is annoying though.

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of swapping out my mirrors for ones that have the fold in feature, side blinkers, and maybe even the blind zone feature. If you get the mirrors and the switches, will that alone be enough for everything to work on a swap out?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking of swapping out my mirrors for ones that have the fold in feature, side blinkers, and maybe even the blind zone feature. If you get the mirrors and the switches, will that alone be enough for everything to work on a swap out?

No, you'll have to integrate the ENTIRE system into your truck, harness, sensors, BCM and all. Not worth it.

If you get the mirrors that have the symbol on them, everything works but that feature. The "full option" mirrors are the DL3 mirrors.

OP
OP
R

riggz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Happens to me all the time! I've taken it in several times, but there's nothing they can figure out to do.
Try to see if there's a theme about where or when it happens. Mine usually does it near major intersections. My Service guy said that the sensor can sometimes get confused in situations like that... I don't know if that's true or not.

I know the last time it happened it was not in an intersection, just a 2 lane road with no side streets. Absolutely random.... Hasnt given me any issues the last few days but will make a note about the next time.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Hello,

I see that you have experience this vehicle concern for some time now. Have you thought about getting a second opinion by another dealership in your area? I am happy to locate and set up an appointment to have a fresh set of eyes look into this concern for you. Please private message me including a brief overview, contact information, VIN, and exact mileage.

Regards,

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

Vector

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, you'll have to integrate the ENTIRE system into your truck, harness, sensors, BCM and all. Not worth it.

If you get the mirrors that have the symbol on them, everything works but that feature. The "full option" mirrors are the DL3 mirrors.

Any idea as to the cost and ease of install for doing the mirrors without the blind side function but everything else?

`

Stresst

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea as to the cost and ease of install for doing the mirrors without the blind side function but everything else?

`

It all depends! First off you buying new mirrors or used? Can you instal them yourself? Do you know anyone in a shop? My local shop owner has a GM part time mechanic who was able to come with his laptop and stand alone to program my switch which saved me some cash. So back to your original question is very hard to answer....

Fast55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had that happen on my Tahoe 3-4 times since new, and every time I think I'll have the dealer look it over, 1-2 key on/key off cycles and it fixes itself before I can bring it in. I would not worry about it unless it stays broken and the dealer can diagnose it.

PeteKT

Reaction score
its happened to me a few times, I noticed it happen once on the freeway with the wall that divides the two sides, it seems to have got stuck on from the wall setting it off, then it reset about 10 minutes after i switched lanes. ive also notice it happen on a street that had fresh painted yellow lines, it seems to have triggered the sensor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn