Service Safety Restraint System error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bigmanny

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to call GM tomorrow. Even it is just a sensor it is connected to airbag. I don't know what airbag and travel daily with my kids, so kind of unacceptable. I do understand that the dealers are running blind on this stuff right now with so few vehicles out there / 1st model year.....yada yada yada. No trying to beat up my dealer as they have been fine to work with. GM has to fix this issue.

kidtriton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Please keep this thread updated. I have a 2021 Yukon Denali with 400 miles on it and mine has been giving that message since around 150 miles. I haven't taken it in yet because I don't want to put the 100 miles round trip on it to just find out they don't know what to do about it. I worked 10 years as a master Ford tech back in the 90s and early 2000s so I know a lot about how service departments work. I found this and wonder if they are collaborating on this, it would be worth asking: https://gm-techlink.com/?p=13496

OP
OP
Bigmanny

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please keep this thread updated. I have a 2021 Yukon Denali with 400 miles on it and mine has been giving that message since around 150 miles. I haven't taken it in yet because I don't want to put the 100 miles round trip on it to just find out they don't know what to do about it. I worked 10 years as a master Ford tech back in the 90s and early 2000s so I know a lot about how service departments work. I found this and wonder if they are collaborating on this, it would be worth asking: https://gm-techlink.com/?p=13496

Make sure that you log it with your dealer. it appears that this may impacting a bunch of us. I just had it happen 10 times on 2 mile ride.

My dealer is also about 80 miles RT and I have already been there twice for this issue.

Mike

kristenlprice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
they’ve had my Tahoe 3 times and still can’t do anything about it.

Just bought a 21 High country and experiencing the first gremlin. Getting a popup on the dash and the airbag light goes on. Popup says "Service Safety Restraint System". It lets me dismiss it and both the popup and light go away. Seems to come back after a period of driving and or the next time that I am in the car after about 5-10 minutes.

I will snap a picture of the popup.

Hondogreif

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was told that the new airbag is in. They are going to repair on Wednesday so will update what was done and of course if it works.

OP
OP
Bigmanny

Bigmanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was told that the new airbag is in. They are going to repair on Wednesday so will update what was done and of course if it works.
FYI. I have had mine to the dealer twice and the problem went away for a week or so in both instances.

Mes14

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m having the same issue, going back to the dealership again on Tuesday. The first time they gave me the bad code nonsense, cleared it but didn’t last a day. I also have a squeak coming from the front rt wheel when pressing the break, problem need a new rotor. Any advice on how to address the “service safety restraint system”?

James Mill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I drive a cousin of this vehicle and have same issue. 2020 Silverado LTZ. Have been receiving warning message for two days. I’ve Found reports of this on other threads as well. I suspect that with the way mine is behaving, it’s a loose connection or short. My vehicle has less than 400 miles. Soooo I excited. Going to dealer on Tuesday.

kidtriton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know what exact airbag/connector theirs says it is? Like driver's bag in the steering wheel, driver side curtain, etc? Then we can see if everyone's is the same one.

James Mill

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update- brought my 2020 Silverado LTZ to dealer and they said that it is an airbag coil. According to the technician, it is intermittent because of changes in electrical resistance in the circuits that occur when different systems are active or not. They were able to recreate the problem consistently and tie it to a change in resistance. So the airbag coil is on order and my truck is out of commission for two weeks. Driving a loaner. I am not convinced that this will be the fix, though I hope it gets done and that I do t have to chase electrical gremlins for the next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19