Service Air Bag light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a service air bag light that came on a couple of weeks ago as well as the service air bag message. Last time this happened several years back it was a front impact sensor. So I swapped the two sensors out one at a time with my replacement units but it didn't solve the problem. My code scanner will not read the air bag codes, what else could be the problem. Is this something they can scan at the local AutoZone?

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a service air bag light that came on a couple of weeks ago as well as the service air bag message. Last time this happened several years back it was a front impact sensor. So I swapped the two sensors out one at a time with my replacement units but it didn't solve the problem. My code scanner will not read the air bag codes, what else could be the problem. Is this something they can scan at the local AutoZone?
Did you get the air bag error codes?

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the stores can't read them for you, it may be worth looking into getting a Tech 2 clone scan tool. They run $300 or less and can tell you more than you'll need to know about your older GM vehicles.

If too spendy for you, something like one of the Zurich scanners from Harbor Freight will get in and read SRS and ABS codes. Those can be had for less than $150.

I used my Zurich to read the code I got on SRS. It was able to tell me, specifically, the error was with the front left impact sensor. Easy diagnosis and a 15 minute fix. I thought that was a big win in my book!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most commonly it is a front impact sensor OR passenger presence sensor OR a loose or broken wire on the passenger presence sensor, take a look under the passenger seat at the wires and see if one is broken, usually you can push the passenger seat all the way forward and look under it from the back

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have messed with the steering wheel or wires behind it, the clock spring can get messed up, and then in turn trigger an airbag light for the driver.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Get the code(s) to put some light on the issue. Right now everything is dark...

OP
OP
Danzigman

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to update and close this one, i turns out my replacement was defective as well. I bought a scanner and identified the passenger side sensor and bought a new replacement. Issue solved.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For future reference, You can always swap sides and test. If the problem swaps sides you are confirmed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2