Re-covering wire loom

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to recover there wire looms?

I was poking around under and in the engine compartment and noticed how badly my looms are falling apart from being so brittle.

If you have, what did you replace the old with?

What would be the better choice to recover them with?

Thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to recover there wire looms?

I was poking around under and in the engine compartment and noticed how badly my looms are falling apart from being so brittle.

If you have, what did you replace the old with?

What would be the better choice to recover them with?

Thanks

Mine are coming apart slowly too. Was wondering if someone made a kit to re-loom an LS wiring harness but didn't see one except for really fancy material like used on computers. When I was a kid, I got one of those coupons from J.C. Whitney for free wire loom assortment and just used it all up on our other vehicles, took about thirty years! LOL

Stuff I saw now, even the basic, was still a pretty penny.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine are coming apart slowly too. Was wondering if someone made a kit to re-loom an LS wiring harness but didn't see one except for really fancy material like used on computers. When I was a kid, I got one of those coupons from J.C. Whitney for free wire loom assortment and just used it all up on our other vehicles, took about thirty years! LOL

Stuff I saw now, even the basic, was still a pretty penny.

I was wondering the same thing, you'd think with how popular LS swaps are they'd have some kind of kit for the looms.
Haha, man I used to love JC catalogs, they had the coolest stuff at reasonable prices.

Go to this place and have a look around. There’s lots of choices. I did all the wiring on my Harleys using their braided stuff.

https://www.cableorganizer.com/wire-management/

Ahh very cool, thanks man, I'll check that out

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing, you'd think with how popular LS swaps are they'd have some kind of kit for the looms.
Haha, man I used to love JC catalogs, they had the coolest stuff at reasonable prices.

Ahh very cool, thanks man, I'll check that out

Here is another source that I have used for cable wrap. Love McMaster-Carr.
https://www.mcmaster.com/wire-sleeving

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had I thought about it a while back when this subject was brought up before, I would've wrapped a small, easily accessible harness with the loom from Hazard Fraught just to see how it'd hold up over time in our summer heat. I'd like to replace all of mine, at least what hasn't crumbled away yet, when I pull my motor out. I'd like to find out what tape the factory uses, too. No doubt that 3M Super 33+ will hold, but I think it'll draw up and shift when heated, exposing the adhesive to collect and hold dust and make a slimy mess if I ever touch it.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
There’s another thread on this somewhere that had another lead on a lead to an oem like product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s another thread on this somewhere that had another lead on a lead to an oem like product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... I still can't find it. You practically have to type in the exact URL of a thread in the search bar to find the thread you're looking for. o_O

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had I thought about it a while back when this subject was brought up before, I would've wrapped a small, easily accessible harness with the loom from Hazard Fraught just to see how it'd hold up over time in our summer heat. I'd like to replace all of mine, at least what hasn't crumbled away yet, when I pull my motor out. I'd like to find out what tape the factory uses, too. No doubt that 3M Super 33+ will hold, but I think it'll draw up and shift when heated, exposing the adhesive to collect and hold dust and make a slimy mess if I ever touch it.
They use high temp fabric tape like this.
High Temperature Resistant Automotive Wiring Harness Tape Wiring Loom Tape(32mm15m) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHQNNV9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_CeU3DbW9Q203C

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHNorthWoods