Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What temperatures are you reaching? I would think that big radiator would cool just about anything, I bought the same one but it's not installed yet. I wonder if the heat going through the trans cooler, mixed with your heat exchanger, then that heat goes into the radiator but is already too hot to exchange any more heat out. I hope that makes sense?

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mikeyss its not undriveable, i think im just fighting a few different factors, and expecting stock like performance; i've had the temp just climb and climb to over 230*

for reference:

a normal drive it will get up to about 170* hang around there for a while maybe go up to like 180. a couple quick pulls maybe 190-195. and it would just incrementally raise a few degrees at a time and wouldnt get back down until i stopped, could leave it idling a while and temps would go back down to 180*. after it gets over 200, AC on, 80mph it would just slowly climb 205, 210, 215 . turning AC off would sometimes stop the rise in temp but not bring it back down while driving even at a steady 65-80mph with plenty of air flow, locked up torque converter etc. and of course the south florida heat 90+ambient all day everyday.

this is all set up a bit different from stock:

electric water pump is connected directly to the lower radiator (had a 20an bung welded to it)
ewp pushes to the water manifold on the front of the engine (had other port to cabin hvac, removed atm)
4 corner steam vents i looped back into the manifold at first, manifold back to top of radiator.

i moved the steam ports to the radiator (suction side) no help, i since moved them to the coolant overflow tank. i think this is the best place for them as they let whatever steam/bubbles enter the expansion tank and dont get recirculated through the radiator.

one problem is that the electric water pump will pull a vacuum on the radiator end tank and cavitate (sucking nothing but air) and just force air thru the system. its easy enough to bleed the system out, but i think doing some hard pulls on it the coolant heats way up/expands, expansion tank pops the cap, pukes some coolant. a couple of times like that and i think it builds some air pockets in the radiator then starts heating uncontrollably. now im using straight water with water wetter so boiling point is lower. i would like to keep the temp under 200. if i can keep the temp down it wouldnt get to the point where pockets are forming.

i ordered an aftermarket expansion tank, i may up the steam port hose a size larger.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
initial drive looks promising.
ill take it back out later for an hour+ ride and see how it does but quick 20min drive - temp seemed to be under control. half a dozen pulls it went up 192-195, and then would go back down to in to the 18Xs within a minute or two. definitely didnt heat soak or anything yet. i may still be fighting the expansion tank but its actually dropping the temp back down so thats good

after another much longer drive, covering up the openings does seem to be helping out a bunch. cruised for about 30 min @70-80, AC on temp stayed under 190. thrashed it a bit on the highway couple pulls and it got up to around 210. hung around 208 for a bit steady cruised after getting off highway @65mph and temp dropped back down to 194, subsequent pulls temp would go up to like 205 and then come back down to about 200.

I will prob go ahead and put the oil cooler back in and swap the expansion tank when new one gets here with larger steam vent hose

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
initial drive looks promising.
ill take it back out later for an hour+ ride and see how it does but quick 20min drive - temp seemed to be under control. half a dozen pulls it went up 192-195, and then would go back down to in to the 18Xs within a minute or two. definitely didnt heat soak or anything yet. i may still be fighting the expansion tank but its actually dropping the temp back down so thats good

after another much longer drive, covering up the openings does seem to be helping out a bunch. cruised for about 30 min @70-80, AC on temp stayed under 190. thrashed it a bit on the highway couple pulls and it got up to around 210. hung around 208 for a bit steady cruised after getting off highway @65mph and temp dropped back down to 194, subsequent pulls temp would go up to like 205 and then come back down to about 200.

I will prob go ahead and put the oil cooler back in and swap the expansion tank when new one gets here with larger steam vent hose

You're now running about where a stock engine would be at a 1/4 the power and if subjected to similar thrashings. Fingers crossed!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
tried a ricer flyby...gave him about 2 car lengths before i got into it, then put about 5 on him
I love that shit! Once driving on the pkwy, a douche driving a civic comes along side of me and waves goodbye--lol, beat his ass pretty bad. As @iamdub would say--he was a *** boi! Bet he went home and cried.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zachattack_0924