Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kinda new here, some familiar faces from other sites

Story up till now:
Had been looking for a Sierra Denali for a while, most were 2wd, salvage title, or way out of my price range. Along came this Yukon sitting at a Toyota dealership on the lot for $38k, 2012, awd, WDT/black leather, less than 50k miles, nav/dvd/rear entertainment/bose/ heated/cooled seats, heated wheel, sunroof, 3rd row, 20s, tow package, 2nd row buckets, and whatever else. We ended up striking a deal at about $31k out the door. In my happiness i overlooked a few key items, nothing to bad though.
20170129_171932[1].jpg

The hood, looked like someone sprayed half a gallon of clear over the base layers it lasted about 4 months before it literally came off like a sheet of clear vinyl. It bugged me for way to long, white diamond tricoat is a pain match and material itself drives the price up, just finally had just the hood completely stripped and painted last month, came out pretty nice i think, it just needs to have orange peel knocked down and i'll be happy.

The dash, had a "nice" cover over it...ripped it off as soon as i got home. It cracked along the center channel speaker and airbag. to be swapped at a later date. i melted it back together to atleast keep it from speading, that lasted a few months but it has cracked it again

The engine! so i drove it for a few weeks and it started having a bad tick at start up that would last maybe a minute or two if i let it idle, if you jumped in a drove it it would go away almost immediately. Had a cheap filter in it, figured oil wasnt any better. so i grabbed an ac delco and some mobil 1, changed it.... it got about 10x worse! Luckily truck was/is still under full power train warranty till October. I drop it off at GMC dealer, kinda play stupid and say it making some noise at startup. They diagnose and agree, tells me it's all covered under warranty. They "clean up" the top end (not to sure what that meant, but o well) throw it all back together and still no good, they call me up a few days later say they're pulling the engine to tear it down and see if it can be fixed - seeing as how i'm not paying for any of this i dont make to big of a deal and tell them go for it. A week or so goes by, i had a couple access badges in the center console so i ran by to grab them engine out, torn all apart. Crank bearing wiped, threw metal shavings throughout engine, they still tried to rebuild it. I get a call on a friday "truck is back together, tech wants to run it for the weekend make sure alls good, change fluids out, give it back to me monday". i say yea no problem. so going on like week 3 of them having it i get a call the next tuesday - engine is toast, we ordered a long block we'll have it another week. It was at the dealership longer than i had owned it for at that point, but they got it back together, engine all sparkly clean runs damn good!

After all of that, The only things i have done:
pull window rain visors? off, i dont know what you call them. They had been on there a long time had to eraser wheel off the adhesive left behind.
Removed the factory nav unit and installed an android head unit, that was not much fun- it came prewired with a canbus adapter for up to 2011GM, but i had to hack it off and wire it up to a PAC gm canbus adapter, another adapter for the rear seat, back up cam.... took a while to get it figured out but it is all in and working for the most part. If you're interested in an android unit definitely get one with the 8-core processor and atleast 2mb ram. The one i ordered was absolutely horrible at first, took forever to boot up, just one app would lag it out for a minute, i was very close just to putting stock back in. I saw over on XDA forums there was an upgraded processor so i gave it try and it is miles ahead of what it was and acceptable as a replacement for the nav unit. I wanted the android for waze, torque pro, spotify apps... It has a slot for a sim card but i just hotspot from my phone works great.
airraid jr. intake tube and high flow dry filter in
black bear auto cal tuned engine/transmission

onto future.....

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black Bear Tune made it enjoyable to drive... my biggest gripe was the throttle response and transmission tuning. As big as it is i wasnt expecting miracles in the acceleration department.

First on the to do list is mechanically delete the DOD, Ive been gathering parts for a few weeks, waiting on a few more things to come in. I ordered a complete kit head/water pump/ exhaust gaskets, lifters/trays, orings, crank bolt, head bolts, etc. It has kind of snowballed however and I now have a cam, springs, lighter intake valves, long tube headers/no cat ypipe, converter coming from circle d, transmission cooler...few other things along the way
20170929_174942.jpg 20170929_175023.jpg 20170929_175117.jpg 20170929_175439.jpg 20170929_175503.jpg

I wanted to keep it somewhat subdued as this is still my "family" vehicle. It will keep stock denali catback and for now stay stock height.... new wheels at some point because chrome cladding is peeling off pretty bad on the stockers

Last edited:

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome. Looks like you are on the right path especially after that engine issue. Keep us posted with the cam and headers, etc...

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is gonna be a nice build.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
howdy

look forward to hearing about cam & LTs after install

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I'm getting anxious myself lately, got a little road trip this weekend to busch gardens with kiddo planned, prob try to get rolling on it next week.
I'm still debating to just pull heads while still in the truck swap everything and get it back together probably be down a couple days, find transmission shop to swap converter, with the awd i figured atleast $500
OR
Pull the whole engine and throw it on a stand to do the cam and top end work myself or find someone to assemble it. If i knew anyone I could trust just to assemble it there wouldnt be any question, but dont really know anyone anymore - most machine shops just want to mill the heads and do a valve job so they know where they're starting at - which i totally get but until i pull the heads i dont think it needs any of that done. I'm hoping i can break the heads down lap in the new intake valves, put in new seals if needed and be done. pulling the engine will also let me swap the converter in at the same time (-$$).

Id need to buy/borrow a few tools if i did everything myself but pretty confident I can get it all done lol

Ordered the trucool 40k mounting brackets from user on pt.net if they get here this week I may go ahead and get it mounted and plumbed in.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All i have is more pictures, I swear at some point i will start installing all of it!
I started out looking at gear swaps and was about to pull the trigger on 4.11s front/rear. With the 6L80 and 3.42s stock i thought it was a pretty good combo but slower than hell off the line. I think i found somewhere comparing the gear ratio it ended up being like driving a 4l60 with 4.56 gear.
I had been to 1/4mile track a few times and 60's were terrible 2.3-.4. i noticed similar trucks, even 5.3s that were cuttin 1.9-2.0s. I didnt realize it but the stock converter on mine only flashes at like 1600 rpm on the foot brake. So hopefully converter will help out, and way less $$ than the gears after install.
Not sure how we are about naming non forum sponsors but they were extremely helpful, responsive, and got it out to me quick. stall should be around 3k rpm
Along with the converter the LS3 intake valves arrived, I went back and forth about installing them for a while. Stock valves are big and weigh in the 110g range,LS3 valve around 90g, plenty of people say dont worry about it put on a good spring and let it roll. But i wanted to keep valvetrain nice and light to see how high Justin wants to tune the shifts :D.
The headgaskets that were sent with the DOD delete kit I dont really like. they look like a metal shim with two crush layers, they swear they've used them in all kinds of builds with no problem but meh...L92/LS3 would be plenty but since thickness is the same I ordered some LS9 gaskets since FI may be in the future.
20171002_175221[1].jpg 20171002_175326[1].jpg 20171002_175416[1].jpg 20171002_175139[1].jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345