Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got dial indicator+arms, caliper (for measuring shims), I was going to order bearing puller and installer crap but I know plenty of people with shop presses I can run over and use- so I ordered a pair of "set up" bearings that are already honed out to slide on/off for setting up pinion shims. Inch-pound torque wrench I think my brother has mine. Larger bearing race and seal install kit, couple brass punches.

I think I got a good handle on how to set up the gears. I keep searching and watching everything I could and i think I was making it way more complicated than it really was.
I thought it was a constant shim setup. But I guess you set up the pinion depth by swipe pattern, check backlash is within spec***, then leave it alone. then adjust on the bearing caps for correct gear engagement .

No problem right

Last edited:

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got dial indicator+arms, caliper (for measuring shims), I was going to order bearing puller and installer crap but I know plenty of people with shop presses I can run over and use- so I ordered a pair of "set up" bearings that are already honed out to slide on/off for setting up pinion shims. Inch-pound torque wrench I think my brother has mine. Larger bearing race and seal install kit, couple brass punches.

I think I got a good handle on how to set up the gears. I keep searching and watching everything I could and i think I was making it way more complicated than it really was.
I thought it was a constant shim setup. But I guess you set up the pinion depth by swipe pattern then leave it alone, then adjust on the bearing caps.

No problem right
I'm confident you can get it done

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, just fold it in half no problem.
yup, itll flatten out when i put it in :emotions122:
* i have a lubelocker gasket in it now and i think i ordered another, one i have isnt leaking but i think i needed another 20bux for free shipping on something so i grabbed it

not sure why the thread locker(red liquid) is just chilling in the plastic bag either. going to grab some gear paint and some red loctite also. i prob have some around here but dunno how old it is

Last edited:
OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple tools, didnt go super cheap but I'll likely only use these a handful of times so didnt go crazy.

And went ahead and got the ring gear on the carrier...went on too easy the first time, pissed around and them remembered I had to line the bolts up lol was long day i was mostly just setting up to jump on it tomorrow and just kept going...they were just a hair off but I had to separate it and do it over. its just set on there and hammered down, need to clear my other work bench with vice to set up and torque and loctite bolts n stuff 20220708_223609.jpg20220708_223613.jpg

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you changing the gearing in both diffs? What's the new gearing going to be?
it already had 4.10s front/rear just putting in new set , changed a long time ago. the mechanism for the g80 is missing abunch of teeth in a few spots and im assuming they went throughout the ring and pinion and spider gears. jack up in the air, driveshaft out, theres a lot of resistance trying to turn the tires. so the locker is done and althought the gearset looks great i didnt want to go through all of this just to find out its crap too.

loctite and torqued the ring gear bolts, figured id try and throw the carrier bearings on also with a little heat instead of taking it to buddys shop. couple mins with heat gun on them and they fell halfway on and a couple taps with a hammer/cylinder and they went right down

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I thought it was a constant shim setup. But I guess you set up the pinion depth by swipe pattern, check backlash is within spec***, then leave it alone. then adjust on the bearing caps for correct gear engagement .

No problem right

If you don't get it right on the first 1-3 tries, then grab a chair and keep a log book. 18th times the charm. You won't beat off for a week afterwards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo