Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

doc5339

Reaction score
it already had 4.10s front/rear just putting in new set , changed a long time ago. the mechanism for the g80 is missing abunch of teeth in a few spots and im assuming they went throughout the ring and pinion and spider gears. jack up in the air, driveshaft out, theres a lot of resistance trying to turn the tires. so the locker is done and althought the gearset looks great i didnt want to go through all of this just to find out its crap too.

loctite and torqued the ring gear bolts, figured id try and throw the carrier bearings on also with a little heat instead of taking it to buddys shop. couple mins with heat gun on them and they fell halfway on and a couple taps with a hammer/cylinder and they went right down
Very nice, wish I had 4.10’s as well. Might help with the lack of low range 4WD.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wheels off, axles out, diff drained, driveshaft out. fuggin c clips on the axles didnt want to come out (axles didnt want to push in far enough to clear the clip) finally got them both out. going to see thor in a few mins cleaned up and cleaned myself up. will pull the carrier and pinion when i get back if i feel like it

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got everything out, set up, pinion with setup bearings in - the only shims that came with install put me over the oem shim amount (.030) closest i could get was .032 which didnt seem like alot, but after getting it all together the pattern shows the pinion to close.

the only shims it came with were like .0210, .0165, .0110, .0110 .0110 so im stuck at .032 or .0275ish which i think is a little too small. luckily amazon has a shim kit with 1day delivery so hopefully itll show up early enough i can get something done

the paint or whatever came with the install kit sucks ass, and not enough locktite imo for all the ring gear bolts i used very sparingly and still was scraping the thing on the last couple bolts

backlash was right on the edge of the low side(.005/.006ish spec is .006-.010), but moving the pinion away should loosen the backlash up so ill try those same shims with the new pinion shims before changing

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always hear that horror story about the axles in these rigs.
they wouldnt push in far enough to get the clips out... i also changed one of the axles when i first put this axle in and dont remember having as much of a prob. the other side i didnt change feels like the bearing is going out so i ordered one of those too :emotions122:

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spent what seemed like 8 hours trying to get one out once. Put a c-clamp on the backing plate to the hub and cranked it down to get that extra thousandth of an inch to slip the c-clip back in.
geez, the truetrac is a little different not sure if itll help getting the clips back on.
no parts yet so kinda dead in the water over here, just cleaned up whatever gear oil spilled so im not having to lay in it when i get back to it.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
f'd in the a

shims said 1day delivery..checked back on it and now not coming till thursday. i tried setting it up with the under-as-close-as-i-could-get shims but its showing on the pattern exactly as expected to far away now. so it wants to be right at that factory .030 shims. couldnt find any shims at local autoparts stores any sooner, there is a transmission parts house that i think may have them, going to try and call tomorrow and see if they do

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10