Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve done axels on my 02 and 08, c clips came out with no problems, I found out if I take a deadblow and smack the end of the axle a couple times it works. I think they get crusty buildup, maybe worse in salty climates.

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve done axels on my 02 and 08, c clips came out with no problems, I found out if I take a deadblow and smack the end of the axle a couple times it works. I think they get crusty buildup, maybe worse in salty climates.
dunno, i change one of the axles out itself a while back and i dont remember having any troubles.
but **** done now.

shims- **** amazon, shims didnt show up for like 4 days, i ended up coming home pissed and cut the bearing off the old pinion and it had a .0295 shim, set it up, and pattern looked good, rechecked the backlash and sent it. pulled it back apart cleaned everything up and started final assembly. pinion is kinda tricky by yourself :oops: the rest of it sucks by yourself but setting up the pinion for the final time is pretty rough. after you put the pinion through the case, the crush ring goes on, and then the smaller bearing also has to be pressed on - but you cant hammer it on cause itll just knock back into the case and then put the input seal on and then the yoke takes some force to go onto the splines, but you cant hammer it either cause it could push the pinion out of the bearing you just pressed on:emotions122:

new axle bearings, new seals (both sides)...the driverside axle (one i didnt change) when i was pulling it out it felt a little loosey goosey with the old bearing. but the new bearing tightened it back up and it had just as much "play" as the other new axle. i was going to replace the brake rotors and pads but i figured i would make sure this gear install was good before i spent another couple hundred and then the rear end blows up in 50miles and i have to take it somewhere to get fixed

initial drive was good, didn't/couldnt hear any noise over the exhaust - tires are pretty quiet but no noises seemed smooth just did a quick drive. yukon says for break-in drive 15 mins, let cool completely. no towing/hard accel first 100miles, change oil at 500miles. still needs aligned before i put many miles on it, definitely needs it

and i washed it, and its still 2wd - need to lower the exhaust crossover (build a new one all together)

Last edited:

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I couldnt've have done it without you in my corner...I signed those 10sec yukon parts headed your way as a token of my appreciation
Maybe that signature will inspire those parts to hop on the lap top and tune that fkr for me:cool:

As always, i'm glad to be of assistance and its an honor to have parts from such an iconic 10 second yukon in my stable:happy160:

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seals and bearings are the same as the 8.6. I have part numbers and tool numbers for pulling and driving if you want.
I have a "blind hole" puller set, that I fit to the new one..then couldn't get it in the old one. Used next size down but still couldn't get it out. Used 5lb slide hammer with a hook. Took a bit but got them out. The new bearing and sealer installer worked great

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, imma call the rear end done. got mabe 100miles on it, no noises, rear end was definitely some kind of bound up. cause even though i been taking it easy dirt road burnouts are effortless like i almost have to try to not spin them even with the 4l80 longass first gear. havent given it too much on paved road, but pretty sure itll light up the 35s much mo easier now.

rcv axles are in...ngl after the first couple short drives they spit grease every where and i was mm's from losing my shit, layed under it contemplating parting this pos out. i just wiped it all up and am hoping they just packed them so full of grease for the initial break in. last couple drives have just resulted in the ball and "plunger" with a little more grease than id like to see but i will see how it looks after a few more drives.

i ordered another trick turbo crossover "diy" kit a few weeks back, because the crossover was right in the way of the front driveshaft with the diff lowered a couple inches. i extended the one i had down a little bit but it barely cleared the driveshaft and when the front diff torqued down it would hit it (and the front sway bar which i also dropped about 3.5"). it was done pretty crappy and it was coated and has been used for a couple years so lots of soot, just didnt weld that great and prob had a couple exhaust leaks from it.

my real welder (of course) was not going to be able to get to it for a few weeks. so i went to it, the pipes were pretty long on it but the passenger side has a few bends and to clear the driveshaft, i needed to cut it in between two bends and add about 3". trying to tack up under truck was a pita but welder was cooperating for the most part and i was laying some decent looking mig welds down. got the flanges to the exhaust manifolds tacked up and brought it over to the bench to finish welding it out and the first rip i go to do (after working perfect for half a day) decides its just not going to feed the gas and i layed out from birdshit welds crusty and pored to hell. stopped, cussed, and didnt even really do anything and it just started feeding gas perfect again like wtf. ended up grinding the no gas weld back out and welding over it, came out ok, but its annoying "not having the right tool for the job".

got the crossover all welded up, put it back in, little less exhaust noises from the wheel wells. went to put the front driveshaft back in and neither one i have is long enough with this set up 4l80/np261/9.25ifs :emotions122:

so we still 2wd atm. not sure i want to go back to the np149, its not very synonymous with lift trucks, i did beat the hell out of it, so i know its strong, but not sure if the same abuse, with a larger/heavier tire at each corner would just accelerate the wear. the np261 is (or should be anyway) way stronger if i ever did need this thing to do any pulling/snatching or just try to get itself through some nasty stuff. i need to see if its ok to drive, in 2wd, with the front CAD deleted. it will turn the front tcase output/chain but the diagrams look like it completed de-couples it in the case so it should just freewheel in there. no clutches or anything in this tcase, no auto 4x4, just 2hi, neutral, 4hi, and 4lo. one of my driveshafts may work enough to see if anything binds up, i dont think ill go through the hassle of making the front center axle disconnect work, so if i cant run it all connected in 2wd problem free, the awd case will go back in probably

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019