Question for those that have the Rear Media/Entertainment Package...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cpayne5

Reaction score
Yes, the rear seat passengers can select the video they want to watch, and you can also select it from the front center screen. Each rear screen can watch its own video independently.

PauliePucks

Reaction score
This my first post...new 21 XL SLT owner from NJ. Hi all!

My biggest gripe so far with the Rear Media is the complete lack of apple support. The fact that wireless CarPlay is supported but, there is no native airplay 2.0 support, is baffling to me.

I can confirm, via my setup, that the apple lightning to HDMI adapter DOES work using the HDMI ports In the vehicle. My kids all have iPads and the amount of cords pouring out of the center console to connect them to the rear screens is a bit absurd.

The apple USB-C to lightning cable will only function as a charger and will not transmit audio or video to the screens. One caveat, and it’s a big one, is that when using the apple lightning to HDMI connector, there is a pass thru power port. The pass through power port will NOT charge the device while the HDMI cable is connected. That is a HUGE issue, especially for long road trips.

we have unlimited cellular data on the iPads and it’s disappointing that the only viable, minimal cord solution is either 2 firesticks or roku streaming sticks, both of which would require me to utilize the vehicles hotspot and incur another monthly bill I don’t need.

hopefully some updates get pushed out sooner than later.

PauliePucks

Reaction score
This my first post...new 21 XL SLT owner from NJ. Hi all!

My biggest gripe so far with the Rear Media is the complete lack of apple support. The fact that wireless CarPlay is supported but, there is no native airplay 2.0 support, is baffling to me.

I can confirm, via my setup, that the apple lightning to HDMI adapter DOES work using the HDMI ports In the vehicle. My kids all have iPads and the amount of cords pouring out of the center console to connect them to the rear screens is a bit absurd.

The apple USB-C to lightning cable will only function as a charger and will not transmit audio or video to the screens. One caveat, and it’s a big one, is that when using the apple lightning to HDMI connector, there is a pass thru power port. The pass through power port will NOT charge the device while the HDMI cable is connected. That is a HUGE issue, especially for long road trips.

we have unlimited cellular data on the iPads and it’s disappointing that the only viable, minimal cord solution is either 2 firesticks or roku streaming sticks, both of which would require me to utilize the vehicles hotspot and incur another monthly bill I don’t need.

One other thing I wanted to ask. Those of you who have firestick setups, are the touch screens functional or is the remote control or firetv app required?

I forgot to mention that using the apple Lightning to HDMI cable does NOT allow touch screen controls on the Rear Media Screen, it’s a mirror of the device, so the device still needs to be held to change content.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing I wanted to ask. Those of you who have firestick setups, are the touch screens functional or is the remote control or firetv app required?

I forgot to mention that using the apple Lightning to HDMI cable does NOT allow touch screen controls on the Rear Media Screen, it’s a mirror of the device, so the device still needs to be held to change content.

You have to use remote control to make selections with Firestick.

PauliePucks

Reaction score
You have to use remote control to make selections with Firestick.
Guess it’s really fielders choice with input then. Shame that the technology is so readily available to cast/stream from
Mobile devices and were forced to tether everything by cable.

there are a few videos on YouTube which demo the Miracast feature and the RES touch screen actually controlling the connected device - that’s ideal. None of the videos mention what version of Android is being used either.

someone here mentioned that the usb-c hard drive / thumb drive option worked well. I’m curious if that option allows each screen to run a different video file, or if both screens have to view the same file since it’s technically the same input.

while I’m not opposed to the fire stick, my 4 and 6 year olds almost never watch the same content and they’d be fighting over what was on all the time.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We're about to go on our first long road trip next week. I just purchased the 90 degree HDMI and USB C adapters mentioned by fellow users (great idea). I'll have a Firestick in one port and Chromecast in the other. Both will be connected to the built-in WiFi hotspot. Hopefully things go well. I've yet to connect the Chromecast and hope to perform a test run tonight or tomorrow.

Using a remote can be annoying, especially when the kids never place it in a cup holder and it slides all throughout the cabin. Finally ending up in some crevice in the seat folding mechanism.....

Also, has anyone experienced USB charging issues with their phones (Android); where it keeps connecting and disconnecting? The little lighting bolt shows like it's charging and then goes away, just keeps cycling like that. Wish my phone was wireless charge capable...

PauliePucks

Reaction score
We're about to go on our first long road trip next week. I just purchased the 90 degree HDMI and USB C adapters mentioned by fellow users (great idea). I'll have a Firestick in one port and Chromecast in the other. Both will be connected to the built-in WiFi hotspot. Hopefully things go well. I've yet to connect the Chromecast and hope to perform a test run tonight or tomorrow.

Using a remote can be annoying, especially when the kids never place it in a cup holder and it slides all throughout the cabin. Finally ending up in some crevice in the seat folding mechanism.....

Also, has anyone experienced USB charging issues with their phones (Android); where it keeps connecting and disconnecting? The little lighting bolt shows like it's charging and then goes away, just keeps cycling like that. Wish my phone was wireless charge capable...
Can’t say I’ve had charging issues aside from the one I mentioned with the apple lightning to hdmi adapter and the pass through charging port not working if the HDMI was connected.

Unfortunately, we have all apple products, so I cant attest to the issues you’re having with android.

my wireless charging has worked well, and the wireless CarPlay is a very nice add, it’s been working pretty well.

one other thing with the rear media system that I’ve come across in my reading, is that it seems that all the usb-c ports in the vehicle can be used as a source for the screens, which is very cool. Please let us know if you are able to test it on your trip.

I’m narrowing down my setup options to either running an Apple TV or sticking with the lightning-hdmi cables. I’m trying to avoid using the vehicle hotspot if I don’t have to.

1st world problems man...‍♂️

cpayne5

Reaction score

Please report back your Chromecast findings. Very interested to hear what others experience.

OP
OP
ebelp

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Can your LTE iPads share a hotspot? If so, you could use that to feed the Firestick/Roku...or use your phone's hotspot capabilities. Kind of a pain because it adds the extra step of having to connect the Firestick/Roku's to the hotspot each time you get in the vehicle, but at least that avoids having to use the vehicle hotspot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9