Ultimate RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment) Setup!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Packitup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmm.. that's weird. I'm using a SanDisk 1TB Extreme USB-C, and I've loaded it with almost 100 or so movies in both .mp4 and .mkv format. I did, however, need to reformat the flash drive as it came formated with ExFAT which my 2021 Suburban did not regonize, wouldn't mount at all. FAT will not work with large file size (e.g 4GB+) so I went with NTFS. Once formatted, I created a couple folders (e.g. Kids, Action) then transferred the movies. I'm using the USB-C in the center console to keep the drive out of the way and avoid getting it kicked by the kids when coming in/out.

No issues since.
I'm using an old seagate free agent go that's 500 GB. It is formatted as NTFS. I do see on the rear screen that media indexing is occurring but the progress bar seems to be stuck half way through. Maybe a quicker reading external drive would help this progress? I actually have a SanDisk 2 TB extreme USB-C but it's utilized on another device. Is there a way to refresh the media indexing?

MrScrewzloose

Reaction score
I'm using an old seagate free agent go that's 500 GB. It is formatted as NTFS. I do see on the rear screen that media indexing is occurring but the progress bar seems to be stuck half way through. Maybe a quicker reading external drive would help this progress? I actually have a SanDisk 2 TB extreme USB-C but it's utilized on another device. Is there a way to refresh the media indexing?
Is the older Seagate a HDD spinner using USB-A? If so it may be adding to the slowness of the indexing that the system is doing. I've never seen an indexing notification on either my front display or the rears. I do, sometimes, need to unplug and replug the flash drive after starting the truck, sometime the system seems to flake out on mounting the flash drive.

If you have a USB3 thumb drive laying around, with a USB-A to USB-C adapter (I havent tried using only the USB-A up front as a source but it may work), you could toss a couple .mp4/.mkv and determine if 1) its an issue with the other drive or 2) an issue with the movie formatting or formatting of the drive. If it works, go with another Extreme.

Packitup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is the older Seagate a HDD spinner using USB-A? If so it may be adding to the slowness of the indexing that the system is doing. I've never seen an indexing notification on either my front display or the rears. I do, sometimes, need to unplug and replug the flash drive after starting the truck, sometime the system seems to flake out on mounting the flash drive.

If you have a USB3 thumb drive laying around, with a USB-A to USB-C adapter (I havent tried using only the USB-A up front as a source but it may work), you could toss a couple .mp4/.mkv and determine if 1) its an issue with the other drive or 2) an issue with the movie formatting or formatting of the drive. If it works, go with another Extreme.
Yes, the older Seagate HDD is spinning using USB-A. I have a newer Seagate HDD with USB 3.0 and a USB-A to USB-C adapter so I can try both ports. In the process of formatting to NTFS and moving some .mkv over. Will update.

Packitup

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got the new Seagate HDD with USB 3.0 formatted with NTFS, and USB to USB-C adapter. Moved over a couple .mkv movies. Hooked the HDD to center console USB-c port and the videos are showing up and selectable. Tried a few and they would never play. Then selected a few more until one of the .mkv videos did play, success. Now, not sure why the one played while other did not. I wonder if video bitrate and what the HDD can handle is the difference? Need to figure out what's different between the one .mkv video and the others.

OutGolfn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We had the factor RSE in our last 2019 Tahoe, but when we got our new 2023 Tahoe I knew I wanted to do a custom/portable iPad setup that allows full app access and portability between vehicles.

2 Apple iPad Airs 10.9 size
Lamicall Car Tablet from amazon
Two USB C black cables for charging ran through bottom of seat
Two Beats Wireless headphones with W1 chip
This setup can be run off the Vehicle Data package or using our iPhone hotspots

For front screen I used Carlinkit AI Android Box 8gb ram/128gb storage this allows plug in/play and downloading apps from Google Play Store for streaming entertainment. Front screen does use the built in vehicle speakers/data connection, and power source. (There is a slight audio/video lip sync from the Carlinkit AI Android box, but maybe future firmware update will resolve. Not a big concern as its usually used to watch sports on long weekend trips with kids travel teams)

This setup allows all three screens to be watching something totally different. Portability between two vehicles and all for less than $600-$1000, depending on iPad size/discount/sale you catch on amazon at the right time of year.

Overall family loves the setup.

GM really needs to open up the Google play store in the new Android/Tahoe stock headunit for the 000's of apps instead of using a Carlinkit AI Android Box as a work around. This Carlinkit AI Android box uses the wired Apple Car Play connection to run in three ways Apple Car play, Android Auto, or Android 12 tablet/phone mode for full customization.

tahoerearentertainmentsystem.png

Last edited:

matai

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just read through this whole thread.

Does anybody know the actual tech specs for the USB drive and movie files?

Some of my movies work and some don't, can't seem to figure out why.

Thanks

High_Country

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2023 Tahoe with the original RSE. Unfortunately it looks like it is the system with most of the funktions switched off by Chevrolet. Great... I can only choose beetween two sources: HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. That is all. No USB! No HULU. So what can I do to use it. Can I connect a hard disk via HDMI. My hard disc has only a USB cable. Are there adapters?
What can I do? I am from Europe, here is ONSTAR not available. So I have only my Android Samsung smartphone with "not too much" mobile data...

badreau

Reaction score
I have a 2023 Tahoe with the original RSE. Unfortunately it looks like it is the system with most of the funktions switched off by Chevrolet. Great... I can only choose beetween two sources: HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. That is all. No USB! No HULU. So what can I do to use it. Can I connect a hard disk via HDMI. My hard disc has only a USB cable. Are there adapters?
What can I do? I am from Europe, here is ONSTAR not available. So I have only my Android Samsung smartphone with "not too much" mobile data...
I would try getting a streaming device such as an Nvidia Shield, which you can then plug your USB hard drive into. The Shield will connect to HDMI 1 or 2, and play the movies from the USB drive.

High_Country

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I go with a very simple solution at the moment. I use a USB C to HDMI cable for my Samsung phone. It is working quite well.
So my kid can watch downloaded videos on the rear entertainment screens now.
As I can download the videos at home, there is no need to use mobile data for the entertainment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins