Question for those that have the Rear Media/Entertainment Package...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PauliePucks

Reaction score
Can your LTE iPads share a hotspot? If so, you could use that to feed the Firestick/Roku...or use your phone's hotspot capabilities. Kind of a pain because it adds the extra step of having to connect the Firestick/Roku's to the hotspot each time you get in the vehicle, but at least that avoids having to use the vehicle hotspot.
I could, but I checked with Verizon and our unlimited data plan includes only 10gb of LTE hotspot, after that it’s throttled to unlimited 3g @ 600kbs...so no go.

looks like I’ll have to use the lightning hdmi cable option for now as it’s the only way to mirror the screen using the iPad’s LTE connectivity.

OP
OP
ebelp

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there really a benefit to mirroring an iPad's screen to the RSE screens? Seems like a lot of extra leg work, wiring, fiddling, etc. when the kids can just hold the iPads in their hands. Something they're used to doing anyway. Plus if they're like my kids, they'll inevitably switch to a game on the iPad, or they'll want to watch another movie/video, which requires them to have the iPad in their hands anyway.

PauliePucks

Reaction score
Is there really a benefit to mirroring an iPad's screen to the RSE screens? Seems like a lot of extra leg work, wiring, fiddling, etc. when the kids can just hold the iPads in their hands. Something they're used to doing anyway. Plus if they're like my kids, they'll inevitably switch to a game on the iPad, or they'll want to watch another movie/video, which requires them to have the iPad in their hands anyway.

the biggest thing for me, is that they’re not hunched over the iPad for hours on a road trip or long drive. I always find that if it’s evening, they will fall asleep right away if they’re looking at the screen on the headrest as opposed to the one in their lap. It’s mostly ergonomic issues. I may just end up ripping a few DVDs in handbrake and placing them on a thumb drive and call it a day. Just sucks that we have this aesthetically pleasing rear entertainment system and it’s crippled to a point of almost being unusable as is without major assistance. At least a dvd/Blu-ray player provides and option for media on the go. As of now, we have none of that

OP
OP
ebelp

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still truly shocked they did away with the dvd/blu-ray functionality without giving people the option to put a mobile dvd player/Firestick/Roku/etc. inside the front center console. You're forced to have wires draped everywhere if you want to run a dvd player.

JWAustinVTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
View attachment 258861

Great minds think alike. I also bought the 90 degree USB-C adapter: https://amzn.to/2HHMY9Z
And a short cable: https://amzn.to/3jqjACU

Just a heads up with the HDMI adapters. They are 2 different adapters, facing different directions. In other words, even though it's a 2-pack, you can only use one of them.

I assumed Roku had the same micro power connection but does not. Anyone have a link for a short cable for whatever plugs into the ROKU stick and USB C?

ytechie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I assumed Roku had the same micro power connection but does not. Anyone have a link for a short cable for whatever plugs into the ROKU stick and USB C?

Are you talking about the Roku streaming stick? It uses mini USB. I have been completely unsuccessful finding a short USB-C to Mini USB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442