Rear entertainment troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Undertaking a roughly 24 hour road trip so I need to be crystal clear on running the rear entertainment for the kiddos.

For the most part I do not expect to be streaming; I doubt signal strength with AT&T would allow that great of service all the way across the US. We have download (and a couple of DVD backups) movies onto iTunes. I did plug in our Roku and in the driveway it ran off the home WiFi (if I could stream I'd pry have the kids driving lol).

We have an old iPhone (no cell service) that has multiple movies downloaded on it. We are running an Apple lightning to hdmi adapter. While the phone shows up on the screen we couldn't access iTunes movies. After a few minutes I figure out that you have to start playing movies while connected to WiFi in order to enable playback even though it's already downloaded (seriously apple wtf). Once going everything is fine (also now finding I can play them under the TV apple app).

Only issue I have is when we then plug in a separate iPhone up front to run applecarplay for Waze the audio in the back cuts out. My wife has indicated that when she's running DVDs this doesn't happen and navigation just plays over the movie.

If I buy headphones (vehicle didn't come with any used), will audio still work for the back and play over the front speakers with CarPlay? Also, recommendation on non-crap headphones? Just want something that isn't garbage.

2017 Suburban, iPhone 7 (videos), iPhone XS (Apple CarPlay).

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when the rear speakers cut-off then audio should play in the back thru infra red, replacement oem headphones are $30-35 each online, you may find a package deal or used ones on ebay. I can't recommend any aftermarket ones as I have not tried any.

OP
OP
Tiki

Tiki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I typically go all OEM but it's not like GM is known for the audio/electronic prowess lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartman