Question About Brakes for 24's...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HopInTheHoe

Reaction score
So i was just thinking to myself that my new rims (24 inch U255 with 305 tires) weigh considerably more than my stock 20s. My brakes are starting to go im pretty sure, they stick when stopping and I have to break harder to stop at the same point so im pretty sure they need to be replaced.

My Question is, Should i get a specific type of brake/rotor to support the extra weight of the new rims?

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
You have a couple different options. If you have the ca$h, I would go with a big brake kit up front like a Baer, Willwood, or SSBC. There is no need to do a brake kit in the rear unless you really want them to match. Your second option is to upgrade to a high quality rotor and pads. When I did mine, I didn’t want to spend $1K-$3K for brakes, so I ended up doing the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors up front with EBC pads in the front and the rear and kept the OEM calipers. I have been very impressed with these rotors. One thing you want to stay away from is any of the fully cross drilled rotors you will find on eBay or other places like that. Drilled rotors are subject to cracking when they get hot which is a bad thing. The only fully drilled rotors I would ever use would be the super high end Baer or Willwood set up. The EBC's are dimpled and slotted, so they dissipate heat very well, never any brake fade at all, and no brake dust, and most importantly they maintain their structural integrity from not being fully drilled.
The biggest risk you run without upgrading the brakes is that the extra weight of the wheel puts more strain on the rotors causing them to over heat, which then causes them to fade, which puts you in a potentially dangerous situation.

Not to mention, the GM rotors that come on these trucks are horrible. I would recommend everyone upgrading their rotors with or without big rims.

Here is a pic of the EBC rotors. Another option similar to the EBC would be Powerslot, but from all the research and asking around that I did before I did my brakes, the EBC's are the way to go. Hope that helps
ebcbrake.jpg

Last edited:

REAL TEXAS TAHOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks

You have a couple different options. If you have the ca$h, I would go with a big brake kit up front like a Baer, Willwood, or SSBC. There is no need to do a brake kit in the rear unless you really want them to match. Your second option is to upgrade to a high quality rotor and pads. When I did mine, I didn’t want to spend $1K-$3K for brakes, so I ended up doing the EBC slotted and dimpled rotors up front with EBC pads in the front and the rear and kept the OEM calipers. I have been very impressed with these rotors. One thing you want to stay away from is any of the fully cross drilled rotors you will find on eBay or other places like that. Drilled rotors are subject to cracking when they get hot which is a bad thing. The only fully drilled rotors I would ever use would be the super high end Baer or Willwood set up. The EBC's are dimpled and slotted, so they dissipate heat very well, never any brake fade at all, and no brake dust, and most importantly they maintain their structural integrity from not being fully drilled.
The biggest risk you run without upgrading the brakes is that the extra weight of the wheel puts more strain on the rotors causing them to over heat, which then causes them to fade, which puts you in a potentially dangerous situation.

Not to mention, the GM rotors that come on these trucks are horrible. I would recommend everyone upgrading their rotors with or without big rims.

Here is a pic of the EBC rotors. Another option similar to the EBC would be Powerslot, but from all the research and asking around that I did before I did my brakes, the EBC's are the way to go. Hope that helps
ebcbrake.jpg

Thanks Conor, what did you wind up paying for your Rotors.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
I cant really recall exactly. But I want to say it was like $600 for rotors pads and install.

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
Another good way to do it is what I did is get the SSBC big rotor kit. It includes 14" rotors and caliper relocation kit. The kit was about 500. But def worth it.

iwaslowr

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Reaction score
So i was just thinking to myself that my new rims (24 inch U255 with 305 tires) weigh considerably more than my stock 20s. ...QUOTE]

Just curious... did you happen to weigh the stock wheels as well as your 26's to get an idea how much heavier they are?

OP
OP
HopInTheHoe

HopInTheHoe

Reaction score
there 24's but nah i didnt man..i used to have stock 20s with regular tires from the stealership so im thinking the weight definitely increased considerably

1dopeHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO if the stock brakes are ok for towing loads of 3000+ lbs, they can handle your 24s too.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Naw man your brakes could just be worn out, not related to the wheels.
I had the stock 20s/tires and they weighed in at about 93Lbs, the new set of 24s weighs in at 95Lbs, this being said getting bigger brakes is just about useless. My truck accelerates/stops just like it did before, no noticeable differences at all.
Then again every 24 inch wheel/tire combo weighs a different amount, the less quality brands tend to weigh more, so don't be surprised if your U2's and tires weigh around 100Lbs each.

OP
OP
HopInTheHoe

HopInTheHoe

Reaction score
damnnn 100 pounds a piece? thats gotta way alot more than they used to, and i havent noticed any drastic change in braking, i just think the pads are going and the idea came to mind

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n