Quick Tire Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of those. Never go cheap on what connects the car to the road. Michelins or Continentals only.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have listened for this while driving both Yukons and they're indistinguishable to my ears. I also expected the XL rated Continentals to have a stiffer ride but they don't. Seems that they may have finally unseated the reigning champion LTX. Hopefully they'll last a long time too. Also, while they are the same width as the LTX's at the bead, the sidewalls on the Continentals are significantly wider - perhaps a half inch or more distance between the bulges on both sides of the tire, as is the tread, giving the impression that they're a wider tire than the LTX. They also perform better in beach sand than the LTX without airing down.

Yup. Precisely why I came here to ask for input a few months ago before I bought the Continentals.

Doesn't Continental own General? IIRC, I think I read that when I bought some AT2s back in the day for my old Pathfinder.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of those. Never go cheap on what connects the car to the road. Michelins or Continentals only.

It really depends what you need them for, especially if there is mud/snow/off-road factored into the equation.

Sure, Michelin and Continental make nice tires, but they don't have the market cornered on quality.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they do. I’ve been dealing with tires professionally for over 15 years.

Padraig

Reaction score
On my 2013 Yukon XL I was running Nitto tires and very pleased. When the tires on my 2023 need replaced It will likely be with Nitto.

Padraig

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... I'm in the market for a new set of tires. I'm trying to find something economical but decent in the performance aspect. I happen to come across the ATTURO Trail Blade ATS and they aren't that expensive but, i've always felt that you get what you pay for. Has anyone bought these tires before? The reviews i've seen are mixed. Some people complain heavily about them because of balance issues and others rant and rave about them. The problem being that these are people with different types of vehicles. Also, i'm looking at size 305/35/24. If anyone here has bought a set of these, i'd love to know your impression of these tires. My other options are

Atturo Trail Blade ATS $199.00

General Grabber UHP $277.00

Nexen Rodian HP $296.00

Falken Ziex STZ05 $329.00

Yokohama Parada Spec-X $362.00

Toyo Proxes STIII $366.00

General GMAX AS-07 $384.00

Even If you guys have had any experience with any tires on the list, i'd love to hear about it. Also, i'm not sure if my post is in the right place as i couldn't find a tire thread. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
as you noted tire ratings are all over the place, which sucks because not everyone drives the same nor the same vehicle
another issue is the size 24" wheels. (not my personal choice) I bend wheels just running 22's, less rubber and sidewall affects the ride and grip, 305's atleast save from rim rash a little. the only thing 24's have going for them is they "look nice".
your probably going to have to just find a happy medium somewhere between cost and popularity.
I have used the nexen roadian at, a different tire yes but same brand and I would buy them again
I have used the toyo at's also, slickest tire I ever used and this has strayed me away from the brand probably for life.

also this 30 day offer is not enough really to judge a tire unless they are just garbage out the gate in which case it would be in your favor. some tires do not show there true self until some miles have been put on them. primarily in the road noise department they may start out great and then 10k later they sound like a bad set of bearings.

tires basically come in 3 types, soft-medium-hard
a hard tire gets you more miles (less wear, less grip)
a medium tire gets you more grip (medium wear, more grip)
a soft tire (wears fast and less grip)

that's just my .02 cents from a driver that generally drives with on-road performance in mind, my personal choice for a on-road vehicle will always be a medium tire
I will always choose performance over mileage, tires are a wear item.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's just my .02 cents from a driver that generally drives with on-road performance in mind, my personal choice for a on-road vehicle will always be a medium tire
I will always choose performance over mileage, tires are a wear item.
Totally agree! No point in having good tread on hard dried out rubber..
(I don't put enough miles in to really judge)

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... I'm in the market for a new set of tires. I'm trying to find something economical but decent in the performance aspect. I happen to come across the ATTURO Trail Blade ATS and they aren't that expensive but, i've always felt that you get what you pay for. Has anyone bought these tires before? The reviews i've seen are mixed. Some people complain heavily about them because of balance issues and others rant and rave about them. The problem being that these are people with different types of vehicles. Also, i'm looking at size 305/35/24. If anyone here has bought a set of these, i'd love to know your impression of these tires. My other options are

Atturo Trail Blade ATS $199.00

General Grabber UHP $277.00

Nexen Rodian HP $296.00

Falken Ziex STZ05 $329.00

Yokohama Parada Spec-X $362.00

Toyo Proxes STIII $366.00

General GMAX AS-07 $384.00

Even If you guys have had any experience with any tires on the list, i'd love to hear about it. Also, i'm not sure if my post is in the right place as i couldn't find a tire thread. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
You did not tell us what surfaces you normally drive on, or if you plan to do any semi-serious off-roading. Answers to these have a major impact on the selection of tires that will meet your needs.

If your riving is predominantly on paved surfaces, than I'd recommend Michelin Defenders LTX M/S. They are a bit pricey, but they are good for 70,000 miles, and nothing that the NH winters have thrown at them was an issue.

Last edited:

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have listened for this while driving both Yukons and they're indistinguishable to my ears. I also expected the XL rated Continentals to have a stiffer ride but they don't. Seems that they may have finally unseated the reigning champion LTX. Hopefully they'll last a long time too. Also, while they are the same width as the LTX's at the bead, the sidewalls on the Continentals are significantly wider - perhaps a half inch or more distance between the bulges on both sides of the tire, as is the tread, giving the impression that they're a wider tire than the LTX. They also perform better in beach sand than the LTX without airing down.

Yup. Precisely why I came here to ask for input a few months ago before I bought the Continentals.

thank you.

seems like the continentals fit what I'm looking for perfectly. in my 17in size they offer both sl and xl. I don't tow like you guys do, so sl seems to be the way to go for me. we mostly never see any snow or really cold Temps either but lots of wet roads, if tire rack test crosses over to my size, I'll take the bias towards wet.

$213 shipped from tire rack feels like a good price too.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, boy o boy....... Tires...... So many choices....... I bought new, a 2016 Infiniti QX50. Factory- installed Dunlops / 18". They handled well and quiet. Perfect tire choice to 'smooze' a buyer.....
They were well over $200 each. No warranty. They lasted 20,000 miles. Infinity chose the Dunlops for the "feel" at time of purchase. They are junk, considering the fast wear.

I have been doing business with Discount Tire since 1990. They have experience and I trust their advice. When I tell them I will want to buy a set of Michelin's, they let me know what month Michelin has their ( 4 times a year) 'coupon-discount' so I save money....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar