Question About Brakes for 24's...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Merc762

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
AutoAnything.com

Where the hell did you get this deal?

I searched around for a few hours last night and after their free shipping promotion, 10% off for my first online order, and the products already being substantially less than other sites I made out pretty good.:)

DL WILDCAT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So upgrading the rear on a yukon would just be for looks? Online it says the front SSBC brake kit is 450 and the rear is 640.. Is that all you would need to buy to swap out the brakes?

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Merc, where did you find that deal?

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
So upgrading the rear on a yukon would just be for looks? Online it says the front SSBC brake kit is 450 and the rear is 640.. Is that all you would need to buy to swap out the brakes?

---------- Post added at 10:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

Merc, where did you find that deal?

Thats really wierd. Where did you see that? The rear brakes, even with an aftermarker rotor are way smaller than up front so I dont know why they would be more expensive. Anyways, these trucks do something like 80% or more braking up front than the rear.
When I did my brakes, my front rotors were warped to shit with the pads just about down to the wear bar and my rear brakes looked almost brand new compared to the fronts. I ended up doing rear pads anyways just to make them the same.
There may be some benifits to doing a big brake kit in the rear, but I dont really know what they would be. They do look pretty dope though

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick thread jack: Is "breaking-in" the stock brakes a no-no, with how easily they apparently can warp?

I broke mine in pretty early on, but I don't know if I did myself any favors. I suspect I have some warping, but I don't know for sure (will have 'em checked with my inspection at the end of the month).

Thanks!

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
Quick thread jack: Is "breaking-in" the stock brakes a no-no, with how easily they apparently can warp?

I broke mine in pretty early on, but I don't know if I did myself any favors. I suspect I have some warping, but I don't know for sure (will have 'em checked with my inspection at the end of the month).

Thanks!

"Breaking in the Rotors" means that you drive very easy on them and you DON'T slam on your brakes for the first 1000 to 1500 miles. The last thing you want to do is heat them up and jump all over them before 1000 miles.

CincinnatiZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got the 26 inch U2 55's (i know I know.... there played out) and I dont think I can fit a bigger rotor in there. The caliper is almost touching the rim. Has anyone upgraded brakes with this rim before?

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
The guy, Steve Meade, that has his videos all on YouTube has the same wheels with wilwood brakes. So big rotors shouldn't be a problem.

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front wheels (26" Dubs) almost hit the Wilwood caliper. I mean it's real close. No problems though.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Breaking in the Rotors" means that you drive very easy on them and you DON'T slam on your brakes for the first 1000 to 1500 miles. The last thing you want to do is heat them up and jump all over them before 1000 miles.

I went more than 1000 miles being easy on them. Then, I did some "seasoning." I'm just wondering what, exactly, leads these things to warp so easily, and within how many miles you can expect them to warp.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali