Question About Brakes for 24's...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbleezy

loves to snowboard
Reaction score
if you go with a bigger rotor, you won't be able to use your spare if you need to right?

GalaxyBlackEsky

BlackedoutLT3
Reaction score
Nope you cannot use the spare, It requires at least 20inch wheels. So if you ever need to put the spair on you would have to put it on the back then move the back rim to the front.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
The problem with OEM brakes is that as soon as they get hot they warp causing bad vibrations. Now obviously, a lot of rotor issues have to do with how the truck is driven. But regardless, in my opinion the OEM brakes are inferior at best.
Your OEM brakes may stop your truck ok, but they will not last long! I’m not saying that you have to change the brakes as soon as you get big wheels, I’m just saying that when they wear out, which they will sooner than later, replace them with a good quality rotor.

Also, even with my EBC set up, I didn’t notice a huge change in stopping power. The point of the rotor change was to make sure I didn’t have to worry about them over heating and warping while making hard stops or if I needed to tow a trailer w/o brakes. If you want a more powerful stop, you would have to go with an oversize rotor like BlackedoutLT3 did

---------- Post added at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

IMO if the stock brakes are ok for towing loads of 3000+ lbs, they can handle your 24s too.

That’s only if the trailer has its own brakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
HopInTheHoe

HopInTheHoe

Reaction score
well i couldnt use a spare anyways could i? that would be one 20 inch rim with a all other 24s hahah that would look pretty funny

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
The problem with OEM brakes is that as soon as they get hot they warp causing bad vibrations. Now obviously, a lot of rotor issues have to do with how the truck is driven. But regardless, in my opinion the OEM brakes are inferior at best.
Your OEM brakes may stop your truck ok, but they will not last long! I’m not saying that you have to change the brakes as soon as you get big wheels, I’m just saying that when they wear out, which they will sooner than later, replace them with a good quality rotor.

Also, even with my EBC set up, I didn’t notice a huge change in stopping power. The point of the rotor change was to make sure I didn’t have to worry about them over heating and warping while making hard stops or if I needed to tow a trailer w/o brakes. If you want a more powerful stop, you would have to go with an oversize rotor like BlackedoutLT3 did

---------- Post added at 07:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

That’s only if the trailer has its own brakes.

I agree with this 100%, the moment mine starts acting up Im putting EBCs or SSBCs on right away!

Merc762

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
14" Rotors?

Another good way to do it is what I did is get the SSBC big rotor kit. It includes 14" rotors and caliper relocation kit. The kit was about 500. But def worth it.

New to the forum. I was looking into this kit for a set of 24's I have on the way but it's around $820 everywhere for the 14" rotor relocation kit. I'm thinking about just replacing the rotors with the higher quality product but in the same size rotor as the stock ones to save a little money but now I'm worried about sliding into the back of someone. I currently have 20" wheels on my Tahoe with stock brakes and I have to admit the braking sucks.

Great forum, a wealth of information.

jee123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just do the rotors and pads..i have the same setup conor has and i am pleased...the stock stuff is trash..when you are looking around look for coupon codes you might just find a deal!

Merc762

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Got a Package Deal

just do the rotors and pads..i have the same setup conor has and i am pleased...the stock stuff is trash..when you are looking around look for coupon codes you might just find a deal!

Thanks, I went online last night and got EBC slotted rotors, Hawk Pads, and a complete Eibach Lowing Pro Kit for $500 shipped. Now I'm just waiting for all of the packages including my wheels to arrive throughout next week.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just shipped a set of stock LTZ 20s with brand new tires, 82.05 pounds total.

1dopeHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I went online last night and got EBC slotted rotors, Hawk Pads, and a complete Eibach Lowing Pro Kit for $500 shipped. Now I'm just waiting for all of the packages including my wheels to arrive throughout next week.

Where the hell did you get this deal?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n