Question about drive train slop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same. And the slop that remains I believe is primarily in the transfer case chain on mine.

do you know if the base 4x4 uses a chain too?

I will look it up, but thought you might know off the top of your head

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
makes sense. definitely no dip in the rear from it thou huh?

I'm super curious what changed all of a sudden
i'm guessing the 40/60 power split on the awd's could maybe give the feeling of a dip in the rear if the slack is in the chain as most power is sent there, I also suspect my pinion though I was reading one thread maybe on another forum where a pinion nut had worked it's way loose but the work was recent.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you know if the base 4x4 uses a chain too?

I will look it up, but thought you might know off the top of your head
Yes, they all use a chain.

For the AWD though, the play in the chain translates into a clunk because the front wheels are always being driven. So, for a split second when transitioning from coasting to accelerating, the rear axle is being driven before the front axle can engage due to the slop in the transfer case chain, which is what drives the front axle.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they all use a chain.

For the AWD though, the play in the chain translates into a clunk because the front wheels are always being driven. So, for a split second when transitioning from coasting to accelerating, the rear axle is being driven before the front axle can engage due to the slop in the transfer case chain, which is what drives the front axle.

ahh makes sense. the 4x4 one you can leave in 2wd and take the front axle out right, so since there's never any tq on the chain it's probably less stretched or at the least not notice it since I've only clicked it into 4wd once to test in some sand.

being I never have accelerate mine hard off the line, even thou its in 2wd, I'd never feel any weight transfer and drop.

so time for a rebuild transfer case?

OP
OP
Doubeleive

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
checked the motor mounts, they are snug as a bug in a rug. The engine doesn't even budge at all those H3 mounts are titz
still need to get under it just busy trying to catch up from my vacation spending spree, kids started back to school and it's still hot as balls out, then I have to go drive it and don't really want to get under there when it's hot. probably this weekend

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same. And the slop that remains I believe is primarily in the transfer case chain on mine.
I had a similar issue in our 2007. Had the rear rebuilt, replaced the front dif and mounts (couldn’t find anyone to rebuild it), fixed motor mounts and still had it. Ended up being the transfer case. I didn’t bother rebuilding it and put a GM new in and that solved the issue. After all that, it was very solid off the line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia