Proper DoD delete oil pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't the V4 mode engine come with some kind of oil pressure management valve?
Wondering if that has something to do with your slightly low but not worrisome pressures?

OP
OP

03GMCYukonXL

Reaction score
Didn't the V4 mode engine come with some kind of oil pressure management valve?
Wondering if that has something to do with your slightly low but not worrisome pressures?
In the oil pan I believe. And that isn't worrisome? Because it sure worries the hell out of me lol. Before, I had closer to 40 at idle and 55 while driving but I replaced the sensor at the same time I did the DoD/AFM delete.

I'd like to hear more than one person say that isn't worrisome before I decide not to worry lol.
Also, maybe I got a ****** sensor? I don't even remember where I got it.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I THINK what I'm saying, is that V4 mode engines also have two oil pressure modes.
I THINK V4 mode does not require quite as much oil pressure as V8 mode. Does that make sense?
I THINK it does - not as many lifters need pressurizing in V4 mode as in V8 mode.

Maybe your oil pressure is stuck in V4 mode?
That'd be enough oil pressure (but ONLY) IFF you're driving conservatively.
However, the more your engine works / plays HARD, the more you want greater oil pressure.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the oil is used to release pins in the lifters thru a 2nd oil port in them to go into v4 mode. the oil dead heads into the lifter. it's not much volume of oil either way, the afm oil issues are when seals start leaking internally at the vlom o'rings wasting oil. but technically in 8 cyl mode afm lifters don't get anymore oil than standard non afm lifters because the vlom solenoids are closed and not supplying oil to the release port.

the vvt uses oil as hydraulic fluid to constantly move the cam in relation to the cam gear.. it's said to use quite a bit of oil volume for that..

the factory service limits for oil pressure are crazy low. they are on this site somewhere, but if memory serves, it's like 7psi hot idle in gear. you're fine.

if you don't remember where you got the sensor, it's worth grabbing a new one without a screen from a dealer or a trusted source. but never Amazon, I'm convinced that "acdelco" sensor is a fake, or old bad stock. something ain't right with it.

and then read your pressure with a scanner. the dash gauges are not very precise

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iron block motors use the Melling 295 or 12710303 oil pump. This pump uses a red 43 psi spring.

Aluminum block motors use the Melling 365 or 12710304 oil pump. This pump uses a yellow 33 psi spring. This one pumps 1/3 more oil per revolution.

Now having said that, old and worn out parts are the likely culprit. Could be the pump itself, the VLOM tower seals, or the pressure relief in the oil pan. Worse than that would be cam bearings, rod and main bearings.

Gen IV non-AFM engines do not use the filter under the oil pressure sensor.

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember that high volume does not equal high pressure
The dod with vvt engines need both to operate all the "stuff"
Getting rid of dod by itself does not really change the oil requirement especially
if you still have VVT
I may have missed your exact engine and year (didn't see it in signature)

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the oil pan I believe. And that isn't worrisome? Because it sure worries the hell out of me
Doesn't look worrisome to me.
The oil pressures in the pics are exactly what the my 07 6.2 has for pressures. I changed the oil pump pickup tube o-ring 5+ yrs and 63k miles ago at 130k.
I'd like to hear more than one person say that isn't worrisome before I decide not to worry lol.
Also, maybe I got a ****** sensor? I don't even remember where I got it.
Send it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts