Opinion on GM Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a service consultant at our local Chevy dealership and I will tell you how we handle the tranny flush problem. If you are within your 3 year or 36000 mile warranty or within CPO warranty then you get 1 free tranny flush and NO we do NOT change the filter. It is also done with a tranny machine that changes the fluid out to a new Mobil-1 fluid Chevy has us using. I havent had one yet that is doesnt fix. Also says you might not see results until after driving 200 miles. We have done trucks, tahoes, suburbans, colorados and even 2 camaros. Aftermarket warranty companies will not pay for this like ASC.

hcvone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local Chevy dealership (Bryner Chevy in Jenkintown Pa) is fantastic, I get better service and treatment than at my porsche, jag or other euro car dealership, not that any of them are poor, but Bryner Chevy really treats me great, and my cars and suv's too

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our 2016 Infiniti QX50 suv lease is up in a couple months. Our thought is to pay it off or trade in for a $40,000 2019 Certified pre-owned Q50 or Q70 sedan. Either way $20,000 will be spent. ( Our car is showroom condition & only 15,000 miles). I like the idea of a newer 2019 & still spending the same $$.

The negotiation will be the warranty deals. Hmmmm..... :deal:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So chatted with a GM Customer Service rep and they said since the factory warranty has expired then coverage is totally up to the company that I bought the extended warranty through...which they also said GM does not sell any extended warranties which I did not realize. So looks like I’m stuck with the charges...

this Denali has really spoiled my opinion of GM vehicles.. I’ve always been a GM guy since I was a kid..but the issues I’ve had with this Denali (pillar covers coming off, constant shake even after 3 sets of tires and continuous RF balancing, battery crapped out after a year and a half, now this transmission issue)...for a $80K vehicle is less than unacceptable...had a F150 super crew I sold prior to this Denali and did not have one single issue with it and it had 127K miles when I sold it!

try using higher octane fuel it could also be the map sensor my started doing the shuttering when it failed

it would shake violently and stutter at low speeds or moving from between 0 -6mph or NOT want move at all (this included Auto stop not working and random other BS issues) also reverse gear has the same symptom.

so engine issues can cause transmission issues...

you can always check using a OBD2 scanner

it should be 30-32-KPa idle (600ish RPM) and change number under load (pretty much any number between 35-70KPa or so)

100% guarantee that the dealer would have said the transmission was broken..

Last edited:

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spend 40 to 80k on a luxury Suv and end up with the service experience as if you had a geo metro.

OP
OP
BMPNUGLS

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spend 40 to 80k on a luxury Suv and end up with the service experience as if you had a geo metro.

That’s my core point in all this...you would think if you’ve invested this much in a GM vehicle (which is among the higher end GM vehicles) AND shelled out the $ for an extended warranty on top of it you might get a little better treatment. Guess GM isn’t really concerned about keeping a high end SUV buyer as a return buyer...definitely won’t be me!

OP
OP
BMPNUGLS

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
try using higher octane fuel it could also be the map sensor my started doing the shuttering when it failed

you can always check using a OBD2 scanner

I’ve never run anything but 91-93 octane fuel through this vehicle. I have been **** about that...wanted to keep the engine as clean and efficient as possible due to the investment. This was an obvious transmission issue.

Also have taken the Denali into the dealer for 100% of its maintenance from day one for the same reason. I historically have done my own maintenance and repairs since I was a teenager...never really liked the thought of someone else working on my vehicles.

I can say that the transmission now feels much better - not sure if it was the fluid or the reprogram but seems ok for now. However, I’ve only put about 65 miles on it so far.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sentiment is very common on a lot of automotive forums. Some dealers are fantastic. Others set the standard for the term "stealership" by overcharging while simultaneously being incompetent.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my experience, I found the dealer is beholden to the District GM Representative and/or GM corporate, with their fiscal demands. ( Southern California was terrible for honesty )

My '88 GMC truck, I found a dealer/ owner "rebel" that took care of my "with-in" warranty period BS from my local dealers.
( He raced off-road trucks out of Parker, Arizona)
A shame I had to go that route.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve never run anything but 91-93 octane fuel through this vehicle. I have been **** about that...wanted to keep the engine as clean and efficient as possible due to the investment. This was an obvious transmission issue.

Also have taken the Denali into the dealer for 100% of its maintenance from day one for the same reason. I historically have done my own maintenance and repairs since I was a teenager...never really liked the thought of someone else working on my vehicles.

I can say that the transmission now feels much better - not sure if it was the fluid or the reprogram but seems ok for now. However, I’ve only put about 65 miles on it so far.
you have VVT-LIVC correct? mine got fouled with gasoline it has that unburned gas smell there was some clean oil (a shop put it on it aka tampered with. Not burning oil or losing oil)on it.. i would check it to see if it's fouled it only takes a few seconds to check it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts