5.3 Guys, opinion on oil change intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Forgive if this question has already been asked, couldn't find it in my search.)

Just had the 2nd free maintenance on our 2023 Yukon with just a shade over 10,000 miles (our dealer adds one free maintenance to GMs one provided at sale.) Oil change, tire rotation... Wife is planning on keeping this vehicle 100,000 miles plus.

Any opinions on oil change intervals on this super complicated engine? Every 5,000 like the dealer wants or just follow the "oil life" in the cluster? I know some consumer publications have tested the oil life monitors and found them to be pretty correct in judging oil condition but having an engine that runs on 1 cyl when it feels like it makes me nervous. However I also don't like paying $100 for an oil change more often than I have to.

So TahoeYukonForum folks, what say you?
I change the oil at the first 500 miles. Then, I change it every 3,000 miles with synthetic.

Grady_Wilson

Reaction score
I have changed my own oil for over 40 years and I will continue to do so as long as I'm able.
All of my cars, except for the antique ones, get an oil change at 3k or 5k miles with full synthetic and Wix XP filters.
Even my PHEV which only has the engine running half the time gets a 5k mile oil change.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Forgive if this question has already been asked, couldn't find it in my search.)

Just had the 2nd free maintenance on our 2023 Yukon with just a shade over 10,000 miles (our dealer adds one free maintenance to GMs one provided at sale.) Oil change, tire rotation... Wife is planning on keeping this vehicle 100,000 miles plus.

Any opinions on oil change intervals on this super complicated engine? Every 5,000 like the dealer wants or just follow the "oil life" in the cluster? I know some consumer publications have tested the oil life monitors and found them to be pretty correct in judging oil condition but having an engine that runs on 1 cyl when it feels like it makes me nervous. However I also don't like paying $100 for an oil change more often than I have to.

Follow the 'oil life' indicator; the difference between 5k and the 7kish that the dash is going to say isn't going to matter.

If you are worried about the oil being 'used up' have it tested (or go read about all the folks that have their oil tested). The pattern is that modern oil doesn't break down within manufacturer recommended intervals. But people really like to spend money on oil for some reason.

A the end of the day, 5k vs 7500 miles @ $100 a change, over 100k miles is a difference of $700, so not really a big deal.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No we did TWO oil changes in 10K. Two free oil changes from the dealership. Every 5000 because they were paying for them. Oil monitor on the last oil change actually said there was roughly 30+% oil life remaining.

Wife insists on dealership service (her car loan, her maintenance money etc.) and if I can follow the monitor I'd love to with Mr. Goodwrench running roughly $100 for an oil change. My hesitation is not trusting this over complicated engine, that and I can still remember my Dad giving me $20 and sending me to the local GM dealer to get the oil changed in his Oldsmobile.
Check on the dealer's website for coupons also your local chevrolet dealer. 6 quarts of synthetic with tire rotation runs for 70$ here

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240131_133001_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20240131_133001_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    412.8 KB · Views: 2

brianarmstrong

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I have owned 4 yukons with the 5.3 motor and before that a 5,7 motor I drove all these 300km before selling They were running like new, I changed the oil when the oil life monitor indicated 0 % engine oil life This was useally between 13000 km and 15000 km, The majority of my trips 90% were trips more than 40 km, ,No need to change the oil more often, Do it yourself or go to a dealer, stay away from fast lube shops, Your vehicle deserves better

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve always changed my oil at 3,000 miles but on my newer vehicles running full synthetic I change at 5,000 miles or earlier if the oil life reaches 25%. Local Chevy dealer charges about $85 incl tax for Mobil 1 oil change and tire rotation on my Tahoe. I was 2nd in line on a recent Wed. morning and it took them 2 hrs! They said the new guy was late to work and was overly thorough checking everything out on my Tahoe. I believe they try to find something that needs replacing that they can add to the bill. He found nothing!
Of course they do, recommended service. Especially if you have an extended warranty. They try to find as much as possible. As they should, the customers likely have no clue what's going on so as long as their car still drives and doesn't make honking noises at them square in the face.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the oil life monitor decreases in percentage substantially slower during lengthy cross-country roadtrips.
The Oil Life Monitor subtracts miles from 'an account'. When it runs out of miles, time for another oil change.
HOWEVER
some miles 'count' moreso than others.

There's an ideal engine coolant temp range
an ideal engine RpM range
an ideal engine load range - although the proxy for this is time spent with the TCC locked in an overdriven gear.
Miles accrued inside those ideals count the least.
That's why cross-country trips extend the Oil Life Monitor's mileage.

The more miles accrued
while the engine is cold
at higher RpM
in 1st 2nd or 3rd gear with the TCC UNlocked
the more often the Oil Life Monitor will suggest changing the oil.

And yet, in spite of all of the above ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019