Service 4wd on 2021 gmc Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smacdonald82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2021 gmc Yukon xl with just a few over 38000 miles. I had a bad wheel bearing at a little over 32000 miles. While driving the other night my service 4wd warning flashed on my dash. I pulled over into a parking lot and while turning into a spot the vehicle was struggling to go. I turned off the vehicle waited a minute and turned it back on it drove fine but still had service 4wd warning. I took it to a local garage and had them print of the error codes it was throwing. Today the dealership saw it. Apparently it’s a connector in my transfer case that’s bad. There is a service bulletin out about it they told me. It’s not covered under power train and my bumper to bumper warranty is 2000 miles expired. Has anyone had this problem with the new body styles of the Yukon and Tahoe. I know things happen with any vehicle but I’m so annoyed that I paid so much for a car that has had quite a few things replaced on it with so little miles. Just wondering what experiences people have had. I know because I have a ****** (lol) that sometimes the dealership doesn’t really talk to me like I know what’s going on. I appreciate anything you have to offer! I attached a pic of the errors my car threw.

Attachments

• IMG_2884.jpeg
    IMG_2884.jpeg
    232.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2885.jpeg
    IMG_2885.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 8

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw the TSB on this one recently - when I get mine on the lift for my next oil change I'm going to take a peek at that transfer case connector and see how mine looks.

Here's the TSB - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10231427-0001.pdf

Part is available on RockAuto.com for $50 - shouldn't take more than 15-20min to splice in the new repair connector. I would first talk to the dealer, show them the TSB - GM is aware this is a defect and I think any dealer should give you a "goodwill repair" since you are so close to 36K. If that route doesn't work and you'd prefer not to do it yourself, then I would find an independent shop or a friend that is decent with basic wiring. Order the connector and have them fix it. Total repair bill should be ~$100.

1701192324466.png

OP
OP
Smacdonald82

Smacdonald82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Saw the TSB on this one recently - when I get mine on the lift for my next oil change I'm going to take a peek at that transfer case connector and see how mine looks.

Here's the TSB - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10231427-0001.pdf

Part is available on RockAuto.com for $50 - shouldn't take more than 15-20min to splice in the new repair connector. I would first talk to the dealer, show them the TSB - GM is aware this is a defect and I think any dealer should give you a "goodwill repair" since you are so close to 36K. If that route doesn't work and you'd prefer not to do it yourself, then I would find an independent shop or a friend that is decent with basic wiring. Order the connector and have them fix it. Total repair bill should be ~$100.

View attachment 415187
You are fantastic!! I appreciate your insight! I asked them if they did anything special for over the warranty mileage and they specifically told me that Chevy/gmc was very strict on their warranties. I did speak with a local shop who we work with for oil changes etc and they said they would be more than happy to fix it!

CLN AZ CADDY

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2021 gmc Yukon xl with just a few over 38000 miles. I had a bad wheel bearing at a little over 32000 miles. While driving the other night my service 4wd warning flashed on my dash. I pulled over into a parking lot and while turning into a spot the vehicle was struggling to go. I turned off the vehicle waited a minute and turned it back on it drove fine but still had service 4wd warning. I took it to a local garage and had them print of the error codes it was throwing. Today the dealership saw it. Apparently it’s a connector in my transfer case that’s bad. There is a service bulletin out about it they told me. It’s not covered under power train and my bumper to bumper warranty is 2000 miles expired. Has anyone had this problem with the new body styles of the Yukon and Tahoe. I know things happen with any vehicle but I’m so annoyed that I paid so much for a car that has had quite a few things replaced on it with so little miles. Just wondering what experiences people have had. I know because I have a ****** (lol) that sometimes the dealership doesn’t really talk to me like I know what’s going on. I appreciate anything you have to offer! I attached a pic of the errors my car threw.
Hello .. came across your post while searching through every platform available including YouTube trying to find a successful solution to my service 4WD light. Very curious to know if you resolved your issue and what was done ? Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated

Jay P Wy

Reaction score
You may also want to check the 4 bolts holding the under hood fuse box together. The early T1 trucks/SUVs had loose bolts that caused all kinds of weird issues. My 21 Silverado had loose bolts and I was getting service 4wd messages. The bolts are tightened to 50 inch-pounds. The 4 bolts are light gay in the pic.
Also the OP should call GMC customer service. That close to the end of the warranty GM/GMC may pay for part of the repair (nothing to loose by calling).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 15.15.23.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 15.15.23.png
    385.1 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
Smacdonald82

Smacdonald82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello .. came across your post while searching through every platform available including YouTube trying to find a successful solution to my service 4WD light. Very curious to know if you resolved your issue and what was done ? Any helpful information will be greatly appreciated
Hi! I ended up taking it to my local mechanic instead of having the GMC Dealership fix it. He took the transfer case connecter apart and said it didn’t appear cracked anywhere. He even had me come under the vehicle and take a look. He cleaned the connecter off and put it back together and cleared my codes and viola it was fixed. So far I’ve had no issues. I’ve used my 4wd several times since and everything has been fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar