Opinion on GM Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hadn’t had the transmission serviced yet...with roughly 65+K of its 78K miles being ‘no load’ highway miles I figured I could hold out til 100K before having it serviced...and the fact that I’ve also heard horror stories of people having issues after changing transmission fluid...pretty sure this flush they did is with higher viscosity fluid to ‘bandaid’ the issue for a while til this fluid thins out as well.

My brother is friends with a transmission guy at the Cadillac dealer that he uses (Very early 2016 escalade). Supposedly, the new transmission flus helps 90% of the time. According to him, these have the trans cooler in the ac condenser and when temps reach 90+, the hot fluid gets condensation build up faster than it can burn it off and causes it to get watered down. The new fluid is designed to get rid of the water or not absorb it like the older stuff. That being said, his has has the convertor changed, fluid flush, and just had "check transmission" light come on that is supposedly remedied with a new wiring harness. All of this has been over the last 125k miles. He purchased used and everything prior to the harness had already been done (under 60K miles). This is all 3rd hand information to me so take it as is, but the guy does 8-10 of these 8 speed transmissions a week (various services/rebuilds/whatever) so I would imagine he's up to date on his info.

All that being said, see how the new fluid does. As others have stated, its fixed 90% of them.

OP
OP
BMPNUGLS

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I’ve put a little over 250 miles on it since the transmission fluid flush and reprogram and so far so good. Although I keep thinking I feel a faint shutter here and there but that could be due being a little to critical...I’ll update after I get 500+ on a t.

OP
OP
BMPNUGLS

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brother is friends with a transmission guy at the Cadillac dealer that he uses (Very early 2016 escalade). Supposedly, the new transmission flus helps 90% of the time. According to him, these have the trans cooler in the ac condenser and when temps reach 90+, the hot fluid gets condensation build up faster than it can burn it off and causes it to get watered down. The new fluid is designed to get rid of the water or not absorb it like the older stuff. That being said, his has has the convertor changed, fluid flush, and just had "check transmission" light come on that is supposedly remedied with a new wiring harness. All of this has been over the last 125k miles. He purchased used and everything prior to the harness had already been done (under 60K miles). This is all 3rd hand information to me so take it as is, but the guy does 8-10 of these 8 speed transmissions a week (various services/rebuilds/whatever) so I would imagine he's up to date on his info.

All that being said, see how the new fluid does. As others have stated, its fixed 90% of them.

All that sounds like good credible information! Thanks! Hopefully I won’t have to keep chasing this issue past the fluid change (torque converter / harness etc)...keeping fingers crossed. I’m sure the guy is well versed on 8 speeds by now!!

Lt Belspur

Reaction score
I am a service consultant at our local Chevy dealership and I will tell you how we handle the tranny flush problem. If you are within your 3 years or 36000-mile warranty or within CPO warranty then you get 1 free tranny flush and NO we do NOT change the filter. It is also done with a tranny machine that changes the fluid out to a new Mobil-1 fluid Chevy has us using. I haven't had one yet that is doesn't fix. Also says you might not see results until after driving 200 miles. We have done trucks, tahoes, Suburbans, Colorados and even 2 camaros. Aftermarket warranty companies will not pay for this like ASC.

Is this the fluid?
Mobil™ DEXRON-VI ATF

Christoph

Reaction score
So recently my 2016 Yukon XL Denali has started to exhibit the trans/torque converter shudder...pretty bad actually. However, it does have 79,*** miles (90% have been highway business travel miles). I also have an extended ‘bumper to bumper’ warranty to 120K miles....

Today I take it in for oil change service and for the dealer to ‘diagnose’ the shudder issue. Dealer service tech confirmed the shudder issue. Now, what I was told was that the extended warranty would cover the labor and diagnostic charge but I would be responsible for the $230 trans flush and reprogram.... I mentioned the TSB 16-NA-175 but made no difference. So I’m still on the hook for ~$300 for GMs crappy tranny issues!?? Should I be upset or are they being reasonable?

I'd be ticked off and would be raising you know what. I would start writing bad reviews as well as send emails/call corporate. $70K vehicle should not have transmission problems like this. This crap makes me want to go back to Toyota vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345