5.3 Guys, opinion on oil change intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(Forgive if this question has already been asked, couldn't find it in my search.)

Just had the 2nd free maintenance on our 2023 Yukon with just a shade over 10,000 miles (our dealer adds one free maintenance to GMs one provided at sale.) Oil change, tire rotation... Wife is planning on keeping this vehicle 100,000 miles plus.

Any opinions on oil change intervals on this super complicated engine? Every 5,000 like the dealer wants or just follow the "oil life" in the cluster? I know some consumer publications have tested the oil life monitors and found them to be pretty correct in judging oil condition but having an engine that runs on 1 cyl when it feels like it makes me nervous. However I also don't like paying $100 for an oil change more often than I have to.

So TahoeYukonForum folks, what say you?
I’ve always changed my oil at 3,000 miles but on my newer vehicles running full synthetic I change at 5,000 miles or earlier if the oil life reaches 25%. Local Chevy dealer charges about $85 incl tax for Mobil 1 oil change and tire rotation on my Tahoe. I was 2nd in line on a recent Wed. morning and it took them 2 hrs! They said the new guy was late to work and was overly thorough checking everything out on my Tahoe. I believe they try to find something that needs replacing that they can add to the bill. He found nothing!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve always changed my oil at 3,000 miles but on my newer vehicles running full synthetic I change at 5,000 miles or earlier if the oil life reaches 25%. Local Chevy dealer charges about $85 incl tax for Mobil 1 oil change and tire rotation on my Tahoe. I was 2nd in line on a recent Wed. morning and it took them 2 hrs! They said the new guy was late to work and was overly thorough checking everything out on my Tahoe. I believe they try to find something that needs replacing that they can add to the bill. He found nothing!
There are shops that include a rotation with LOF. It's a way they can try and sell more work. But, if you keep up on your stuff, they probably won't find anything. The couple times I let the dealership change mine when getting warranty work done, I paid around $65-70.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are shops that include a rotation with LOF. It's a way they can try and sell more work. But, if you keep up on your stuff, they probably won't find anything. The couple times I let the dealership change mine when getting warranty work done, I paid around $65-70.
Mine used to charge those lower amounts but recently increased their fee.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Current pricing on Mobil 1, 6qt at Sam's Club is $32
Delco PF63 Filter is $12 at Amazon
Pan-Seal is around $5-8 if you replace it

So just parts for an "oil change" are $52...
If you can get it for $65-$70 you are getting it for $20 in Labor...and that is a good deal.

My dealer is getting the LOF for about $90 now on my 6.2, but it takes 8quarts of oil...seems reasonable.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as you even mention “it’s a diesel” at a dealer……that automatically kicks the price counter up about 30-40%.
They think we’re pretty gullible and must know it it takes much more work!

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As soon as you even mention “it’s a diesel” at a dealer……that automatically kicks the price counter up about 30-40%.
They think we’re pretty gullible and must know it it takes much more work!
Except OP asked for "5.3 guys" so I assumed he has a gasser.

What you mention above is indeed factual, even if it is BS.

Tall56Dog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Every 5000 with quality synthetic oil and filter. I use Mobil 1 Extended Performance and a K & N filter. Disregard what the oil life monitor says unless you want AFM engine problems.

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 07 Tahoe with 317,000 on it and I put 295,000 of that on and a 2017 with 102,000 and do the changes myself.

The 2007 burns some oil these days, however, leaks more than it burns (for another thread). I use Valvoline in both and change at 3,500. However, I think most all oils on the shelves these days can hold up to normal driving for 3,000-3,500 miles. I use AC Delco premium filters which I buy at Rockauto and order 4 for each vehicle at a time which make it very economical per filter.

Anyway, after all that blabbering - I would change it every 3,500.

Dave in Gig Harbor

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had my oil analyzed by Blackstone and they said that I can do oil changes every 7300 miles. That is almost exactly what my oil percentage meter says when at zero. Truck is a 6.2 in a Silverado 1500. I use the AC/Delco filter and the correct Dexos oil. Typically, I do the change myself when the oil percentage gets around 15%. So I am doing the oil change at around 6k miles. I do a fair amount of Seattle to SF runs every year, maybe 5 or 6, so I rack up the miles. I set the tuck up with a Fumoto oil drain plug. Makes the oil changes go pretty easily. Truck up on the ramps, center punch the oil filter to allow it to drain, remove and install new oil filter, open and drain the oil into a recycle container, close the valve, clean up, add oil, reset the oil meter and I am good. About 30 minutes and under $50. Bonus is that I get to see what is happening under my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019