2024 Tahoe Service 4X4 message on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan 2024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Brand new 2024 RST Duramax on initial startup when cold (like 3°, which is cold where we are at) i get a “service 4WD” message and cannot select any mode for the 4WD. After driving or letting it warm up completely shutting it off, letting the system reset then starting it back up the fault goes away. Less that 1,000 miles on it, I’m going to take it to the dealer just wanting to be prepared for dealer BS on why there’s nothing wrong. Oh and it causes the forward collision avoidance to be inop.

Attachments

• IMG_7509.jpeg
    IMG_7509.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 4

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By chance when it's warmed up and everything is working, are you turning it off with it in 4WD or Auto? Try turning it off in 2WD and see what happens. If you Google "Silverado/Sierra Service 4WD message" this is non an uncommon problem and goes back through previous generations. It does sound like cold is often a factor and the bit I read about was position sensors being stuck or not able to properly read where the transfer case is at, so the message pops up.

OP
OP
R

Ryan 2024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It
By chance when it's warmed up and everything is working, are you turning it off with it in 4WD or Auto? Try turning it off in 2WD and see what happens. If you Google "Silverado/Sierra Service 4WD message" this is non an uncommon problem and goes back through previous generations. It does sound like cold is often a factor and the bit I read about was position sensors being stuck or not able to properly read where the transfer case is at, so the message pops up.
doesn’t matter what mode it’s in 2WD or Auto it will fail when cold. I never leave it parked in 4WD as I’m not off road and there’s no need to even select anything other than 2WD/Auto.

BigE_In_TX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Ryan 2024 I just had a very very similar issue I was experiencing with my 2021 Tahoe. I posted about it last week. It got very very abnormally cold here (9-10 degrees) and I went to start the hoe up, and received 5 dash warnings. The next day, it was up to 31 degrees, no warnings, and no warnings since. Coincidence that yours happend when very cold too?

Mine has 63,000 miles, I did not take it to the dealership as it is out of warranty by 3,000 miles

BigE_In_TX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@WalleyeMikeIII Check this post out…. Another Hoe throwing errors when it’s super cold. This one is a 2024. WTF? Same issue I had the other day. Errors disappear when it warms up

OP
OP
R

Ryan 2024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Ryan 2024 I just had a very very similar issue I was experiencing with my 2021 Tahoe. I posted about it last week. It got very very abnormally cold here (9-10 degrees) and I went to start the hoe up, and received 5 dash warnings. The next day, it was up to 31 degrees, no warnings, and no warnings since. Coincidence that yours happend when very cold too?

Mine has 63,000 miles, I did not take it to the dealership as it is out of warranty by 3,000 miles
I’m going to take mine in and see what they say. I’ll let you know when i get an answer so you can see if it helps. Mine was the same way, I’ve had nothing since it warmed up. The 4WD going out only when it’s cold when more than likely you are going to need it isn’t optimal.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to take mine in and see what they say. I’ll let you know when i get an answer so you can see if it helps. Mine was the same way, I’ve had nothing since it warmed up. The 4WD going out only when it’s cold when more than likely you are going to need it isn’t optimal.
I would attribute it more likely to some sort of wiring/corrosion issue on the elctronics than the mechanicals...My 2022 Yukon has seen temps from 105F to -28F, and has never thrown this code...Routinely gets a daily cold soak at 20 to -20F every December-March while I am at work every day...

My only point is, while its "Cold" in Texas, this is regular occurance for all us that live UP North...

OP
OP
R

Ryan 2024

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would attribute it more likely to some sort of wiring/corrosion issue on the elctronics than the mechanicals...My 2022 Yukon has seen temps from 105F to -28F, and has never thrown this code...Routinely gets a daily cold soak at 20 to -20F every December-March while I am at work every day...

My only point is, while its "Cold" in Texas, this is regular occurance for all us that live UP North...
I would agree maybe on wiring but not corrosion unless that was the fastest corrosion I’ve ever seen being I’ve only had the Tahoe less than three weeks and got it with only 16 miles on it and it had less than 800 miles on it when the code came up.

BigE_In_TX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@WalleyeMikeIII You are exactly right that it gets much colder up north, and y’all’s Tahoes aren’t freaking out.

@Ryan 2024 I think he is onto something when he mentions wiring. I am with you, not corrosion, but something with wiring harness having a loose connection is my thinking. This may be far fetched, but I read about a 2021 Tahoe owner having an airbag message popping up. Taking it to the dealership, he was told that the tahoes are known to have too short of a wiring harness under the drivers seat, so if moving the seat frequently, the wires would throw that code. Wondering if it could be connected to our issue?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts