5.3 Guys, opinion on oil change intervals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EducatorDan

Reaction score
(Forgive if this question has already been asked, couldn't find it in my search.)

Just had the 2nd free maintenance on our 2023 Yukon with just a shade over 10,000 miles (our dealer adds one free maintenance to GMs one provided at sale.) Oil change, tire rotation... Wife is planning on keeping this vehicle 100,000 miles plus.

Any opinions on oil change intervals on this super complicated engine? Every 5,000 like the dealer wants or just follow the "oil life" in the cluster? I know some consumer publications have tested the oil life monitors and found them to be pretty correct in judging oil condition but having an engine that runs on 1 cyl when it feels like it makes me nervous. However I also don't like paying $100 for an oil change more often than I have to.

So TahoeYukonForum folks, what say you?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To oversimplify, the longer you want to keep it, the more often you change the oil and filter.
That should also motivate you to find a cheaper oil change place that will let you keep records.
I get that this V8-v7-v6-v5-v4-v3-v2 mode engine probably won't last 300,000 miles like a proper V8 should. (Doubt there's a 1-cylinder mode ...)
I actually think it was DESIGNED TO FAIL before 250,000 miles.
Even so
planning on keeping this vehicle 100,000 miles plus
is selling yourself - or the engine - short.

Most NYC cabdrivers / livery drivers / chauffeurs apply the following 'skew' to the Oil Life Monitor:
If mileage is mostly all highway miles (NOT NYC), they'll change oil when the oil life monitor hits 17% - but NEVER over 5000 miles.
If mileage is more highway than local, they'll change oil when oil life hits 20% - but NEVER over 4000 miles.
If mileage is more local than highway, they'll change oil when oil life hits 25% - but NEVER over 3500 miles.
If mileage is mostly all local miles (NYC, 5 boros, stop'n'go, LOTS of idling, but also lots of restarts), they'll change oil when oil life hits 33%.
If they intend to keep that car after the lease is up, they may change the oil as often as every 2500 miles.

I've failed to mention this previously:
The very few NYC cabdrivers who are well aware that they drive like haemorrhoids change their oil when oil life hits 50%.
50% is NOT a typo. 5_0_%.

You may also want to very seriously consider changing the ATF & ATF filter up to 50% sooner than GM wants you to.
I'd also change the antifreeze every 2-3 years.
Remember: GM would rather sell you an entire new vehicle, than rebuild your engine and transmission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be terrified to run any vehicle 10k without a oil change, but that's just me and I don't lollygag I drive :driver: so said oil would be blacker than black
especially if it was brand new and I planned on keeping it beyond 10k...
3,000 is my limit on oil, 20k on transmission, differentials/transfer case semi-annually regardless of mileage
coolant annuallly, brake fluid annually
the new ones do not have power steering fluid, but I do that annually also.
everyone has there own opinion.

OP
OP
EducatorDan

EducatorDan

Reaction score
I would be terrified to run any vehicle 10k without a oil change, but that's just me and I don't lollygag I drive :driver: so said oil would be blacker than black
especially if it was brand new and I planned on keeping it beyond 10k...
3,000 is my limit on oil, 20k on transmission, differentials/transfer case semi-annually regardless of mileage
coolant annuallly, brake fluid annually
the new ones do not have power steering fluid, but I do that annually also.
everyone has there own opinion.
No we did TWO oil changes in 10K. Two free oil changes from the dealership. Every 5000 because they were paying for them. Oil monitor on the last oil change actually said there was roughly 30+% oil life remaining.

Wife insists on dealership service (her car loan, her maintenance money etc.) and if I can follow the monitor I'd love to with Mr. Goodwrench running roughly $100 for an oil change. My hesitation is not trusting this over complicated engine, that and I can still remember my Dad giving me $20 and sending me to the local GM dealer to get the oil changed in his Oldsmobile.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you need to remember inflation from when you were a young guy and taking tour dads car to get an oil change. I g3t an oul change and tire rotation for under 100 bucks at my local dealer. Location is everything for pricing.

With that said, none of my vehicles go over 4k miles before getting an oil change. I would rather have peace of mind vs risking issues in long run.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No we did TWO oil changes in 10K. Two free oil changes from the dealership. Every 5000 because they were paying for them. Oil monitor on the last oil change actually said there was roughly 30+% oil life remaining.

Wife insists on dealership service (her car loan, her maintenance money etc.) and if I can follow the monitor I'd love to with Mr. Goodwrench running roughly $100 for an oil change. My hesitation is not trusting this over complicated engine, that and I can still remember my Dad giving me $20 and sending me to the local GM dealer to get the oil changed in his Oldsmobile.
ya it's not cheap anymore that's for sure

PPK_

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i had a 2018 sierra with the 5.3 and i installed a significant magnet on the drain plug.. in theory you ought to find random iron in the crankcase.. i changed oil at 3k and 5k and one 7k and could not tell any increase in iron on my magnet. where on my pentastar 3.6 (lot of timing chains) you could see a pickup in iron after 4k.

the 5.3 has fewer rollers and links that a lot of other engines have. it might be able to go a little longer than you think on one change. incidently the pf66 filter (i think) was a 30 micron filter. ok but there are some 20 micron filters which i would use.. if i went longer.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Son took his Sierra to a local place to get the oil changed and tires rotated. $135. But you price 7 or 8 quarts of synthetic oil and a quality filter, then hassle with those super torqued lug nuts and lifting, other fluid fills, front alignment check, etc. that $100 is not that bad to get dealer verified service. Could make a difference at some point for warranty work.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say stick with 5k intervals - thr dealership isn't wrong, and I'd even say PROACTIVE based on what the oil life monitor will tell you to do.

If $100 is too much, buy a 15mm wrench, oil filter wrench, jack and stands and you are in business. 22mm socket and ratchet/impact if you want to tackle the tire rotation. You can change your own oil for about $45 if you get a deal at advance auto, etc.

But I agree with @tom3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar