Opinion on GM Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So recently my 2016 Yukon XL Denali has started to exhibit the trans/torque converter shudder...pretty bad actually. However, it does have 79,*** miles (90% have been highway business travel miles). I also have an extended ‘bumper to bumper’ warranty to 120K miles....

Today I take it in for oil change service and for the dealer to ‘diagnose’ the shudder issue. Dealer service tech confirmed the shudder issue. Now, what I was told was that the extended warranty would cover the labor and diagnostic charge but I would be responsible for the $230 trans flush and reprogram.... I mentioned the TSB 16-NA-175 but made no difference. So I’m still on the hook for ~$300 for GMs crappy tranny issues!?? Should I be upset or are they being reasonable?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
go to the gm website and select your brand and then select chat and see what they say about it, to me it doesn't sound right but it's all in the warranty "fine print" somewhere.

Solace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn't sound right at all. I would definitely ask for the Service Manager and possibly contact GM about it.

I had an issue when I took in my Tahoe to a dealership here in Florida to get the PPV fan recall taken care of. Beforehand I contacted my dealer's head mechanic about it to get details of what to expect and was told 1 to 2 hours at the most.

This dealership took nearly 5 hours to do the fan replacement and had issues figuring out how to even pull up the recall.

Dealers are very hit or miss when it comes to service.

OP
OP
BMPNUGLS

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So chatted with a GM Customer Service rep and they said since the factory warranty has expired then coverage is totally up to the company that I bought the extended warranty through...which they also said GM does not sell any extended warranties which I did not realize. So looks like I’m stuck with the charges...

this Denali has really spoiled my opinion of GM vehicles.. I’ve always been a GM guy since I was a kid..but the issues I’ve had with this Denali (pillar covers coming off, constant shake even after 3 sets of tires and continuous RF balancing, battery crapped out after a year and a half, now this transmission issue)...for a $80K vehicle is less than unacceptable...had a F150 super crew I sold prior to this Denali and did not have one single issue with it and it had 127K miles when I sold it!

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So chatted with a GM Customer Service rep and they said since the factory warranty has expired then coverage is totally up to the company that I bought the extended warranty through...which they also said GM does not sell any extended warranties which I did not realize. So looks like I’m stuck with the charges...

this Denali has really spoiled my opinion of GM vehicles.. I’ve always been a GM guy since I was a kid..but the issues I’ve had with this Denali (pillar covers coming off, constant shake even after 3 sets of tires and continuous RF balancing, battery crapped out after a year and a half, now this transmission issue)...for a $80K vehicle is less than unacceptable...had a F150 super crew I sold prior to this Denali and did not have one single issue with it and it had 127K miles when I sold it!
I thought GM had GM backed extended warranty and service agreements like the other OEMs.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So chatted with a GM Customer Service rep and they said since the factory warranty has expired then coverage is totally up to the company that I bought the extended warranty through...
Infamous third party warranties. Consider yourself lucky when they actually approve paying for anything.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought GM had GM backed extended warranty and service agreements like the other OEMs.
They probably do, but as was explained to me by the GM of another brand's dealership, a lot of dealership owners sell third party warranties because there's more money in it than selling the actual manufacturer's warranty. Perhaps some truth to that since when I called around to compare prices on warranties very few dealers sold anything but third party ones. When I did find a dealer selling the manufacturer's warranty, it was about half the price of all the other third party warranties. Who knows...

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
'15 Yukon XL Denali here, had the same shudder symptom you had at about 47K miles, they performed the Transmission TSB, flush and TCM reprogram and I didn't pay a penny. The dealer actually made the statement; "no cost to you and the TSB includes a transmission flush, which works out because that service was coming up soon for you..." Granted I was still within my CPO bumper to bumper time frame so that was a big difference compared to your current situation.

I will say in general having owned a few GM vehicles, I think the largest downfall of GM service is the fact that it's so inconsistent from dealership to dealership, I'm not taking between brands either, just take a Chevrolet dealer vs another Chevrolet dealer. I'd be willing to bet that there is another GM dealership within your location that had you went to them there's a chance you wouldn't be paying anything for the TSB repair.

BourbonNcigars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say in general having owned a few GM vehicles, I think the largest downfall of GM service is the fact that it's so inconsistent from dealership to dealership, I'm not taking between brands either, just take a Chevrolet dealer vs another Chevrolet dealer.
Yeah, but it's not just Chevy. It's all of them. Until brands put out specific guide lines and standards for their franchise owners it'll be that way.

OP
OP
BMPNUGLS

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I was told by the GMC Customer Service Rep they do not sell ANY extended warranties...they are all third party anymore...which wish it would have shown the shudder issue before the original mfg warranty was up then I’m sure it woulda been no cost to me...but now $400 later (which did include a oil change and tire rotation) it better fix the issue at least for a few more miles til I can offload this thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckner0121

Latest posts