Opinion on GM Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the transmission serviced prior to this time? I believe the service internal is like 50K miles. I wish you the best of luck on the repairs. I hear so many horror stories about the 8 speed. I hope the 10 speed holds up better.

OP
OP
BMPNUGLS

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had the transmission serviced prior to this time? I believe the service internal is like 50K miles. I wish you the best of luck on the repairs. I hear so many horror stories about the 8 speed. I hope the 10 speed holds up better.

I hadn’t had the transmission serviced yet...with roughly 65+K of its 78K miles being ‘no load’ highway miles I figured I could hold out til 100K before having it serviced...and the fact that I’ve also heard horror stories of people having issues after changing transmission fluid...pretty sure this flush they did is with higher viscosity fluid to ‘bandaid’ the issue for a while til this fluid thins out as well.

OP
OP
BMPNUGLS

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s the other ‘kicker’....they did a trans fluid ‘flush’ and reprogram...BUT did NOT change the filter!! What’s the point of the fluid flush (other than to switch it out to the thicker viscosity fluid for a huge upcharge!) without changing the filter! Pretty sure I just got screwed all the way around!

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Here’s the other ‘kicker’....they did a trans fluid ‘flush’ and reprogram...BUT did NOT change the filter!! What’s the point of the fluid flush (other than to switch it out to the thicker viscosity fluid for a huge upcharge!) without changing the filter! Pretty sure I just got screwed all the way around!
How do you know they didn't change the filter?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the filters in these newer transmissions according to what I have read are supposed to be lifetime filters, I don't know if they are that good or not just what I have read
as far as your 3rd party warranty's there are basically 4 different levels, 1st level being low level powertrain warranty for if the part breaks before it's expected life (does not cover normal wear & tear and does not cover a part if it broke after it's expected life) and is very minimal and cheap, 2nd basic powertrain and covers basic wear & tear, 3rd a higher level with powertrain and a good portion of the electronics, 4th highest and covers pretty much bumper to bumper, basically anything that breaks but not everything. a lot of people buy the cheapest one and don't realize it really doesn't cover much of anything and then you end up with a lot of misunderstandings and complaints because they didn't bother to read the details and the salesman just told them what they wanted to hear so they could get that extra chunk of money in the sale and the customer walks away thinking they have a nice warranty when it's total crap. Always read the details.......it's all in the fine print and is worded legally so it's in there favor. Super easy to get screwed with the low level warranty because of the way it is worded.

OP
OP
BMPNUGLS

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand the filters in these newer transmissions according to what I have read are supposed to be lifetime filters, I don't know if they are that good or not just what I have read
as far as your 3rd party warranty's there are basically 4 different levels, 1st level being low level powertrain warranty for if the part breaks before it's expected life (does not cover normal wear & tear and does not cover a part if it broke after it's expected life) and is very minimal and cheap, 2nd basic powertrain and covers basic wear & tear, 3rd a higher level with powertrain and a good portion of the electronics, 4th highest and covers pretty much bumper to bumper, basically anything that breaks but not everything. a lot of people buy the cheapest one and don't realize it really doesn't cover much of anything and then you end up with a lot of misunderstandings and complaints because they didn't bother to read the details and the salesman just told them what they wanted to hear so they could get that extra chunk of money in the sale and the customer walks away thinking they have a nice warranty when it's total crap. Always read the details.......it's all in the fine print and is worded legally so it's in there favor. Super easy to get screwed with the low level warranty because of the way it is worded.

The company I bought the extended bumper to bumper from had three ‘tiers’ as you mention...I bought the highest/most expensive ‘tier’...so they must be a crappy extended warranty company...

OP
OP
BMPNUGLS

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you know they didn't change the filter?

Believe it or not it states right on the service Dept paperwork “no filter changed”...so I looked under the Denali tonight and sure enough they didn’t even drop the pan....straight forward switch out of fluid on a fluid machine...

OP
OP
BMPNUGLS

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some serious plans for this thing once it made it out of the extended warranty...have been chomping at the bit to drop it about 2/4, a tune, exhaust, etc but this has finally made me loose all excitement and most importantly confidence in this vehicle! May look for a nice somewhat low mileage 2010-2014 to make a project. Something that rides nice and doesn’t shake constantly.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your newer model GM has a 'lock-up' in the torque converter, that could be the cause of the shake.

You must use specific WORDS to cover your specific warranty concern. Check for a Technical Service Bulletin on it. You can go to any GM dealership. Cadillac, Chevy, GMC, Buick.....

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The company I bought the extended bumper to bumper from had three ‘tiers’ as you mention...I bought the highest/most expensive ‘tier’...so they must be a crappy extended warranty company...
you can always call them and ask questions you don't have to leave it up to the dealer to deal with them, these warranty company's only pay out so much for parts and labor even on the top tier. the repair shop and warranty company usually work out agreeable prices, if the price the warranty company was willing to pay was less than what the shop wanted then they usually ask if you want to pay the difference to have it done, always ask lots of questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GPPV