2022 Tahoe long repair and how to deal with GM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SC2CO_TAHOE

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 2022 Tahoe (Duramax) that I’ve only been able to drive for about a week in the last three months. First repair took almost 2 months (crankshaft sensor on back order) I had the car for less than a week and it had to go back in for the same issue (diagnostic warning about transmission and emissions system, knocking, sluggish, etc). My local Chevy dealer is working with GM to try and figure out how to fix it!

I’ve escalated to GM and I have a case number from them. I love the Tahoe and am frustrated I have had it for so long. I’ve told this to the GM rep and let them know that the Malibu loaner doesn’t give me the same mobility as my Tahoe here in CO.

Any ideas on how to deal with GM for the time I’ve been without my truck? I drive back and forth between SC and CO twice a year and I’d like to avoid having something happen while on a trip.

Given the amount of time I’ve been without it do you think GM will be open to providing an extended warranty or other consideration? Is that short sighted and should I go for buy back / replacement?

Appreciate any feedback from others. Thx

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every situation is different. Some dealers have talented technicians and they would have had this properly diagnosed the first time it was in. The crankshaft sensor wasn’t the problem, but they threw the part at it and hoped it was the fix.

Now that you say they are working with GM to figure out the fix, most likely means they’ve opened a case with TAC. From everything I’ve read/heard the engineers at TAC are talented troubleshooters and can figure most issues. If needed they’ll send an engineer to the dealership to figure it out. @DuraYuk can speak more to the TAC side of GM.

You could tell the rep you called at GM and opened a case with, that you need a comparable rental and the dealer isn’t providing it. They will likely offer you rental reimbursement. Might be some paper work and waiting on payment, but others on this forum have gone that route and been reimbursed.

The other route to look into is the lemon law. It’s state specific, but if you qualify it usually results in a quick buyback from GM.

I’m sorry you’re going through this. The Duramax SUV is an amazing platform, but problems can happen to everything. Most problems are simple in nature and an easy fix, but the diagnostics to figure out the proper fix is the challenging aspect and unfortunately there just aren’t enough trained techs at dealers to conduct proper diagnostics.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a ton of issues with wife's denali xl... here is what I've done

For the loaner, the 'GM District Rep' is who can approve a like sized loaner (dealer can't do anything unless they want to pay the bill). When hers was waiting for a new turbo I explained how a small car wasn't going to work, a Tahoe was suddenly 'approved'.

For other consideration; best of luck. If you aren't at the lemon law level of failure you don't have an official recourse. You can complain. (I'm awaiting resolution of a GM case started in Dec of 2021)

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others stated if you qualify for your states lemon law you could go that route if you don’t feel comfortable with your current vehicle even if it’s repaired, others have received the monthly payment/payments reimbursed and the factory warranty extended at no cost to you. There should be Lemon Law attorneys in your area,quick Google search, that you could confer with and most will receive payment as part of the settlement with GM. Good luck.

OP
OP
S

SC2CO_TAHOE

Reaction score
Update #1

I opened a case with BBB Auto yesterday. The local dealer finished the Tahoe today and I picked it up. The local dealer wrapped wires from the passenger side of the truck up to the firewall on the drivers side. GM was also considering a new engine wire harness but I was told that would involve removing body panels, etc.

After getting home with the Tahoe I received a call from GM. They referenced the case I opened yesterday with BBB Auto. They wanted to know more about my issues and asked how I would like to resolve the matter. I’m looking for 3 things: extended warranty, consideration for three months of carrying costs on a vehicle that couldn’t be driven and the ability to reopen the matter if the issue arises again. I explained to the GM agent that I use my Tahoe to go between South Carolina and Western Colorado so reliability is a big issue for me. GM is going to contact me again at the beginning of the week after they review it further.

Thanks to all and this forum for the information on this issue. I’ll update once I have more info.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A step in the right direction, be interesting to see what they come back with.

OP
OP
S

SC2CO_TAHOE

Reaction score
Update #2

I had my call with GM today. They are offering warranty coverage of 3 years / 45,000 miles starting today plus reimbursement of 3 months carrying costs. The warranty covers same items as manufacturers warranty and, based on my current mileage, the Tahoe wil be covered until around 75,000 miles. All of this is coming to me via mail so I will post a further update with fine details of the package. Thx again to the forum members for the helpful background info on this issue and how to resolve with GM. Happy to help with any questions.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m curious if you have pictures of the areas of wire harness that they wrapped? Also, does your paperwork from the dealer go into more detail on what they fixed?

It might be helpful to me and others to take a look at those areas and make sure ours won’t chaff in the same spots. Thanks!

OP
OP
S

SC2CO_TAHOE

Reaction score
Hi. It’s interesting. The latest work done by the dealership was not accompanied by an invoice. The service manager explained that wires were wrapped from behind the passenger front wheel to, around, the firewall on the driver’s side. The work was done by Morehart Murphy Chevrolet in Durango, CO. The dealership was great to deal with throughout the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019