Oil pressure switch, screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks snow drifter, I will look closer at that, really didn't even notice....

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mechanic just finished putting in a new oil pump, and says no change, still very very low oil pressure... WTF, I am now $800 into this... New o ring, new pan gasket, new oil pump, filter, oil and sending unit... now I have a slight valve tick happening too (I assume from low oil up top).... What to do now?

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IF it spun a bearing, wouldn't that happen slowly? Wouldn't it have reasonable oil pressure at startup and slowly decrease as it warmed up?

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that does LS swaps often... I called him and talked about my truck. I told him I replaced the O ring and the oil pump and still have no oil pressure, he said "spun a camshaft bearing". He said they are know for spinning the center bearing and they stick to the camshaft and spin in the hole... blocked oil passage and thats why I lost pressure... ? Sound like my problem?

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I have a friend that does LS swaps often... I called him and talked about my truck. I told him I replaced the O ring and the oil pump and still have no oil pressure, he said "spun a camshaft bearing". He said they are know for spinning the center bearing and they stick to the camshaft and spin in the hole... blocked oil passage and thats why I lost pressure... ? Sound like my problem?
That would suck. I hope not.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m no expert but I do know that replacing cam bearings isn’t that hard, unlike main bearings. Sounds like you might be ready for a top end rebuild. Not the best news I guess but not the worst either. Good luck.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
My mechanic just finished putting in a new oil pump, and says no change, still very very low oil pressure... WTF, I am now $800 into this... New o ring, new pan gasket, new oil pump, filter, oil and sending unit... now I have a slight valve tick happening too (I assume from low oil up top).... What to do now?
Is the o ring seated all the way? It's a bit of a common mistake. The retainer won't suck the pickup tube in. You need to lube it up and jam the thing in there, it'd a fairly tight fit.

Any chance he pulled bearing caps and inspected them while the pan was off?

Pickup tube cracked or damaged in any way?

You could also see if you can rig up some clear tubing of some sort from the oil cooler blockoff to check for any air ingestion. Mind it will be under 60ish psi, so plan for that accordingly

Barring that, I think you're looking into a teardown of the engine. Something internal ****** up. Pressure is a function of resistance and flow, with flow determined by the oil pump, and resistance largely based on both bearing tolerance and oil viscosity.

You could try tossing a bottle or 2 or of Lucas in there. Or swap out for some thicker oil. If you are having issues with the pickup, oil Pressure would go down as the thicker fluid would cause a greater suction, causing more air, causing less pressure. If it's a bearing issue of some sort, pressure would go up on account of an increased resistance to flow.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this happened, bam, overnight, one days 40-60 psi, next day 10. The original O ring looked fine... so we went on and did the oil pump too... put it all back together, and no change... and a little metal in the pan... So bad as I hate to, I reckon it is long block time, $2700, and probably another $1000 to put it in.... I will try some lucas, and thicker oil, but, I ain't got much hope at this point...

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We were really expecting a bad Oring.... but it really looked just fine, not brittle, no cracks....

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the cam bearing guess—Lucas or thicker oil aren’t going to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE