Oil pressure switch, screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were you able to fit a air torque wrench in there without removing the radiator, or does it need to come out?

Thanks for the info!!

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
The harmonic balacer is easy TBH.

Pop the inspection cover off the bottom of the trans, wedge a prybar in there, and hit the crank bolt with a large ratchet/breaker bar. Another option, depending on how sketched out you are at the idea, is to wedge a large breaker bar somewhere sturdy, stop the engine from firing over, then tap the starter.

It's press fit on, so get yourself a puller AND an installation tool. I know some just run it on with the old bolt. And while it could work. You also run the risk of butchering the threads on the crank as it's getting started.

Don't forget to align the front cover so you don't ***** the crank seal. And always use a new harmonic balancer bolt.

I'd also grab some non marring plastic shims for the oil pump install. They run ~10 bucks

it's possible to do the oil pump on these without pulling the pan. But be careful. If you drop the bolt, pan's coming off. Grab yourself some chewing gum / butyl rubber and toss it on the end of the ratchet you're using to unto the pickup tube. Help stop that sucker from falling.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you grind off the tab and use the other bolt hole on the pickup tube? That looks to be the best idea....

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t need an installation tool with the ARP bolt. Just torque it on.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, dropped the oil pan.
The pickup tube O ring looks just fine.
Some sludge, but not much in the pan.
The pickup tube is not clogged at all.
Really, everything there looks ok for 190,000.
So? It MUST be the oil pump?
What else COULD it be?
Either high pressure relief valve stuck open, or pump failure.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another option is you could have incurred a failure in your oil pan gasket. It has some passages cut into it which are sealed off by the gasket. If that suffers a failure and begins leaking internally, you'll end up with low oil pressure.

OK, I am not finding any information on this, but it has me curious as there was some oil pan gasket leak going on....

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
While it's apart do the pickup tube o-ring. Preventive maintenance.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
OK, I am not finding any information on this, but it has me curious as there was some oil pan gasket leak going on....
The way the lubrication system is plumbed in these, sends unfiltered oil down through the pan into the filter, then back up, through the pan again, to be distributed through the engine. These passages see full oil pressure .

The gasket has some integrated O-rings but once in a blue moon they can blow out if the pan shifts, was damaged, defective part, or if there was an error during installation.

maxresdefault.jpg

61vnbgG6JmL._SX466_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hottyson