Oil pressure low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your engine's oil pressure sensor and the nearby oil circuits needs close examination.
Much of the time, something's just getting in the way of the oil pressure sensor.
It's more likely that it just needs replacing.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few possibilities, starting with a defect pressure sensor, faulty pressure relief valve on the oil filter in the oil pan. This can be caused by the worn O-ring of the oil pump, it could be a worn oil pump, but it could also be a worn engine, that can no longer hold the oil counter pressure.

The easiest and cheapest is the pressure sensor, the O-ring and the pressure relief valve. The oil pan has to be removed, so it's not a huge problem and doesn't cost much.

I would try that in that order.

OP
OP
M

Mfitz725

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There are a few possibilities, starting with a defect pressure sensor, faulty pressure relief valve on the oil filter in the oil pan. This can be caused by the worn O-ring of the oil pump, it could be a worn oil pump, but it could also be a worn engine, that can no longer hold the oil counter pressure.

The easiest and cheapest is the pressure sensor, the O-ring and the pressure relief valve. The oil pan has to be removed, so it's not a huge problem and doesn't cost much.

I would try that in that order.
I've already done the o-ring but will check on the pressure relief.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What exactly do you want to check? If the oil pressure sensor reports that the oil pressure is too low, then you will also have too low oil pressure in the scanner.

The only thing you could check with this would be whether the gauge shows the correct value, but I think that is the rarest source of error.

It would make more sense to screw in a pressure gauge instead of the oil pressure sensor and measure the oil pressure directly.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
With what scanner tool does this work with? I am dealing with a low oil pressure issue and want to verify my engine's oil pressure from a scan tool. Thank you

I'm not sure what OBD dongle @SnowDrifter uses (I use an OBDlink MX+), but the app is Torque Pro (in the Google Play Store, ~$5, Ian Hawkins). I'm not sure if the lower version of Torque allows creation of custom PIDs, but Torque Pro does. It also has a list of extended PIDs that you can download inside the app.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I'm not sure what OBD dongle @SnowDrifter uses (I use an OBDlink MX+), but the app is Torque Pro (in the Google Play Store, ~$5, Ian Hawkins). I'm not sure if the lower version of Torque allows creation of custom PIDs, but Torque Pro does. It also has a list of extended PIDs that you can download inside the app.
I have the older version, from before the had the '+' nomenclature

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660