Oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leslie77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry I'm new to posting on here. I have an 01 tahoe z71. Before I got it, they took out the 5.3 and put in 4.8l. The end of last year it started making some awful noise. My boyfriend replaced the oil pump and pickup tube. It worked fine for month and half, then the oil pressure started dropping to around 20. We did oil change and replaced the sensor. It worked fine yesterday. Today it is right back down to about 20. It don't make any noises and it runs fine. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it 20 psi at hot idle and goes up when you give it more gas. like wide open throttle?
if so, thats in range. its not what most see but its not gonna die from it either. my 5.3 is just under 40 psi hot idle and hits like 60-70 wot.

cant trust the dash gauges 100% either. best to pull the oil pressure sensor and put a mech pressure gauge in to know for sure. (free rental at the parts store deal for that item) or if you got a scanner with live data some will show the oil pressure, and thats pretty accurate.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I'm new to posting on here. I have an 01 tahoe z71. Before I got it, they took out the 5.3L and put in 4.8L.
And no one got an @$$ whuppin'?
The end of last year it started making some awful noise. My boyfriend replaced the oil pump and pickup tube.
It worked fine for month and half, then the oil pressure started dropping to around 20psi. We did oil change and replaced the sensor.
It worked fine yesterday. Today it is right back down to about 20psi. It don't make any noises and it runs fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.
There may be 'something' large enough, lodged close enough to the oil pressure sensor,
to corrupt its readings.

I'm also wondering about an O-ring ...
someone not as tired as me will do a better job of either explaining what I mean,
or correcting me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manofaltes