low oil pressure in 08 denali 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

Thomas Mccarthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Another one on my to-do list. Looking forward to know what your oil pressure is after the fix.

I will also +1 testing your oil pressure mechanically. When my sensor went out it did funky stuff for about 3 months before totally failing.
where is the best place to test the oil pressure mechanically ?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks for all of the replies ! I will try the o rings as it seems pretty straightforward.

Thanks! I will probably knock it out this weekend - got 90 minutes free ? lol !
You're gonna need some lead time to get the valley cover unless you have Summit Racing close by. They don't carry them at Autozone and the Chevrolet Performance ones will take even longer to get.

OP
OP
T

Thomas Mccarthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You're gonna need some lead time to get the valley cover unless you have Summit Racing close by. They don't carry them at Autozone and the Chevrolet Performance ones will take even longer to get.

is it a bad idea to clean up my existing cover , use new gasket and o rings and reinstall ?

OP
OP
T

Thomas Mccarthy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The valley cover is a fairly easy job. Remove the intake and then you'll see it below. A bunch of small bolts holds it down. Pop it off an you'll see the o-rings seated in it that block off the unused oil passages.

Buy a valley cover, o-ring kit, oil pressure sender (GM), and a set of intake gaskets. If you are mechanical, it will probably take about 6 hours your first time.

Also, do yourself a favor and throw out the rear plastic cover on the back of the intake. It's just a sound shield I believe, and is a stupid POS to deal with. Scrapped that on mine, the second one I did after fighting the 1st one. Didn't affect a thing. You can also scrap the stupid foam pieces that seal off the bottom as well if you want.
is a new valley cover needed ? does it have a different internal profile than oem? my ( flawed) logic says that brings and gasket should do the same ?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where is the best place to test the oil pressure mechanically ?

2 schools of thought, remove the sensor itself at the back of the intake and screw in the gauge will comfirm what the sensor is saying, there's also a port on the front drives side of the engine right after the oil pump you can test there and get a reading before all the possible failure spots.

there's even one that screws in place of the oil filter and your gauge can go there. that's just probably the easiest to get to one but doesn't really comfirm if the sensor is reading correctly.

I'm curious about the cover too, if you have the smooth non afm one, why do you need to replace it? Just replace the seals?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019