Oil pan gasket and pickup tube seal replacement

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Matahoe, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Matahoe

Matahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    Matt
    Any tips on replacing these gaskets? What about access issues on a 4WD? I've seen the videos with people lowering the front diff without removing the front cv's. Doesn't seem right to do it that way as you can pull the joints apart and not know it.

2. SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    You'd know if you had the joined pulled apart cause they wouldn't sit right. Take off the CVS if you're concerned

TBH pulling the front diff is an easy job.

Take off your front skid plate

Disconnect breather, actuator, drive shaft, cv axles.

Loosen and unscrew.but don't fully remove the nuts securing your center link to the pitman arm and idler arm, note the orientation. Toss a 2 jaw puller on it, load it up nice and tight, then smack it with a hammer. Once that's free, swing it down and front to get clearance.

3 mounting boots to remove the diff. It swings down, then you turn it and it drops out. It's fairly light, no more than 80lbs give or take.

Doesn't take more than 2 hours to do. Longest part is getting the tapers out of the center link without a pickle fork, which would mess up the ball joint boots.

Matahoe likes this.
  3. Matahoe

Matahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    Matt
    Thanks for the tips Chris. Today I completed the oil pickup tube o-ring and pan gasket project. Originally I was getting a fluctuation of about 10 PSI that concerned me so I decided to see if I could fix it.

Project wise, to get the oil pan off all I had to do is lower the front diff. Nothing in the service manual about the pitman arm so I just went by the manual. I use Alldatadiy.com and it seemed accurate.

I'll post before and after PSI numbers for those interested in doing this project.

It turned out that cleaning everything seemed to take the most time. Get some scotch brite pads and some purple power. The combo works great!. A word of caution...do NOT use oven cleaner to clean the oil off of aluminum engine parts. This would include the pan itself which is aluminum. Sodium Hydroxide eats aluminum.

Overall I would say it's about 4-6 hour job. I took my time and it took me a couple days.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018 at 6:00 AM