Oil pan gasket and pickup tube seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I believe you, but if you wouldn't mind grabbing a vid or some pictures so we can compare relative gauge positions that would be awesome! Admittedly I'm checking my pressure via a scan tool so I'd like to just see where the needle is that. Yes I want to compare needles with you. Heh heh.

All jokes aside; that's a great improvement. I'll do mine next OCI. If worst comes to worst I can sleep soundly knowing it won't be an issue in the future.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic the following day just after adding oil. Cold engine at idle and cold oil of course. I had to let the gasket rtv cure overnight. It's the factory oil pump at 175k

20181212_220846.jpg

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil pressure is about 72 psi @ 3000 rpm when engine is cold

View attachment 213427
Fun job right, did it myself in August. Did not touch the steering link as others have suggested because I did not want to mess with anything related to the steering of the truck but if I were to do it over again I would have. Your Oil Pressure as shown in the picture is right where it should be and is exactly how mine is. I too spent time cleaning the pan and crossmember and related parts. Did not use any sealant on the pan Gasket as they are suppose to be ''self sealing" and have had no leaks.

OP
OP
Matahoe

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fun job right, did it myself in August.

I didn't think it was fun. Cleanup was a mess. Those YouTube videos by Rickafix and Spelunkerd don't even begin to go into detail of just how messy a job this is. Perhaps if you lived in Texas with no leaks or rust... then maybe....maybe easier (absolutely in no way fun) job.

Did not touch the steering link as others have suggested because I did not want to mess with anything related to the steering of the truck but if I were to do it over again I would have.

I would need a really good reason to touch the steering linkage. Mine was a bear to get loose a year ago. Again I guess if you lived in a salt free region...maybe.

Did not use any sealant on the pan Gasket as they are suppose to be ''self sealing" and have had no leaks.

I wish it were so. But the service manual specifically states that sealant is needed. If you look up at the block sealing surfaces you will notice a void were the front timing cover and rear cover gaskets go. It is needed.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also spent a considerable amount of time on cleaning I even blasted the engine down by the front of the oil pan and that wiring harness that is secured to the front of the pan and still had crap falling off while removing the oil pan bolts. I too watched the ''Rickfix'' video and thought about the same as you. Did you check your Flex Plate bolts when you had the pan off ? Mine loosened up a few years ago and the guy at my local GM dealership said they have seen that happen.