Oil life %... How accurate is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I emailed Blackstone to ask this question and I will report back what they say...

I am wondering if something in my oil system could be causing the higher lead content.

I have metal parts that are "foreign" to my original oil system (dual remote filter mount and an aftermarket oil cooler and the adapter that screws onto the original oil filter boss) that could be contaminating the oil.

If I had to guess on which one might have lead in it I would have to guess the oil cooler because they solder it together.

I think most solder in this country is probably lead free, not sure, but this is probably a Chinese made cooler since I purchased it from Fleabay.

Any thoughts?

I think watching the trends is the important thing. So keep sending samples and watching, like he said.

I might try a sample at 5000 miles (just to see what it looks l like vs the universal averages).

If you have a bearing problem, I'd imagine that lead number will continue to grow. I guess it's possible that it's coming from something in your extra system, and I would absolutely give him a rundown of your setup.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Also, did you take the sample as hot as you could and from the "middle" of your drain?

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Also, did you take the sample as hot as you could and from the "middle" of your drain?

As best I could... had to pull the front bumper to get the truck up on ramps (thanks 4/6 drop) so the engine was shut off during that process. I guess it could have been a little hotter. But I did catch it about mid way of the drain.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
As best I could... had to pull the front bumper to get the truck up on ramps (thanks 4/6 drop) so the engine was shut off during that process. I guess it could have been a little hotter. But I did catch it about mid way of the drain.

That's good enough.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
That's good enough.

I will definitely be taking another sample and sending it to them when the time comes.

I already have 2 more sample kits sitting here.

I just hope it doesn't take the USPS a month to get it there again... lol

I am seriously considering sending it Fed Ex next time.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I will definitely be taking another sample and sending it to them when the time comes.

I already have 2 more sample kits sitting here.

I just hope it doesn't take the USPS a month to get it there again... lol

I am seriously considering sending it Fed Ex next time.

Meh. I just put it in the mail and forget about it. Then I get a neat email surprise one day.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed Blackstone to ask this question and I will report back what they say...

I am wondering if something in my oil system could be causing the higher lead content.

I have metal parts that are "foreign" to my original oil system (dual remote filter mount and an aftermarket oil cooler and the adapter that screws onto the original oil filter boss) that could be contaminating the oil.

If I had to guess on which one might have lead in it I would have to guess the oil cooler because they solder it together.

I think most solder in this country is probably lead free, not sure, but this is probably a Chinese made cooler since I purchased it from Fleabay.

Any thoughts?

Could be the Chicom oil cooler but what are the original bearings made from? Do they still contain lead or did the American Commies outlaw it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz