5.3 slap. Treat it or leave it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88lance

Reaction score
I know the piston slap is pretty normal, and from what I read, doesn't really affect anything.
My '02 Z71 Tahoe I picked up a couple months ago does it, and it is approaching its first oil change since I have owned it.
I was curious if it is worth adding anything during this oil change to help it quiet down, or if it's best just leaving it alone and changing the oil like normal.

I have had a few people tell me to throw some Lucas in it or something, but also have read stories about sludge getting washed into the pan from cleaners and clogging the oil pick-up filter.

Thoughts?

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hows the mileage? if it's high it doesn't really matter lol whats the 88 for a year or the alphabet game?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back when my brain worked really well, I read lots & lots of BobIsTheOilGuy.com
Long story short: you could not pay me to throw some 'Lucas or something' in my oil,
unless you promise to pay for my engine replacement.
Most engine oil additives have been proven, at best useless, if not worse.

Only motor oil additive I've ever used:
Cold start noise did not go away, but I'm the only one who notices it now.

I consider it a minor failure if my Oil Life Monitor tells me to change my oil. That's what I call 'normal'.
Also, I only use Group IV synthetic 0W20 5W20 0W30 or 5W30.
IFF I lived where winter clothes were useless, Group IV synthetic 10W30 would be acceptable.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 02 Yukon bought new with piston slap since new and dealer wouldn't repair still slaps at cold start.
I did find that 5w30 semi synthetic works best with 10w30 slap is worse. Vehicle has 67000 miles on it

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a louder clicking noise in the hydraulic lifters on mine and I got into the habit of adding 1 liter of diesel to the engine oil before changing the oil, driving the car for 10 miles and then changing the oil. Diesel dissolves all the oil carbon. When I check my oil before the treatment it is still honey colored and then it is deep black.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts