Oil consumption

How many actually use oil

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Addicted

Reaction score
Ok. Thanks Ed. My 07 Yukon has around 186k on it. I've only had it for 3k miles, and I burned about 2 quarts of oil in that time frame. :doh2: Half or more of those miles were towing a 6k lb camper up and down hills, and it was mostly in tow/haul mode. IIRC, the DOD/AFM is disabled in tow/haul mode. Not sure how it runs as well as it does with no signs of smoke when it uses that much oil.
My valve cover is supposedly updated (unless the dealer charged for it and didn't do it). I am going to put a catch can on it next spring. I won't be driving it again until the salt is washed away. It may burn a shit ton of oil, but it ain't rusty! LOL

Jason_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.3 with DOD. Burn about 1.5-2 quarts every 5k. I've been told that that type of usage is in spec...

Graystone_OG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.3 with DOD delete with Range device, catch can and revised driver sided valve cover, consumed about 1qt in 4500mi.

Before all this with DOD and catch can only, it had consumed 2qt in about 3000mi. So an improvement at least.

I believe the Range device is killing my battery as well. I didn't use the truck for a day and half on New Years and bitter cold and truck wouldn't crank. It also sometimes doesn't disable DOD and I have to unplug and plug it back to getting working again.

Yukon Joe XL

Reaction score
Bought mine new in 2008. I have 91K on my 2008 Yukon XL. Around 75k I checked oil for the hell of it and it was nearly empty?! I change oil with synthetic since new every 5000 miles. I have noticed oil consumption between changes and have to put in maybe 4 quarts in between. I read it is the AFM (fuel management) and oil burns off the unused cylinders

Yukon Joe XL

Reaction score
This forum seems to know this already but i copy/pasted this for info anyway:
The essence of it is that the deactivated cylinders are cooling, allowing small amounts of oil to be continuously burned off. Over a few thousand miles, that little bit adds up to a quart or two. Most people notice usage more when doing extended highway runs and other times that the AFM system is shutting down the banks for longer periods. Unfortunately there is no way to shut off the AFM nor is GM offering any real fix for the design flaw. The motor will probably be fine so long as you check the oil regularly. Whether the exhaust system / pollution controls / and sensors survive that level of oil consumption is another question altogether - and would be my biggest worry.

FrankU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This forum seems to know this already but i copy/pasted this for info anyway:

Unfortunately there is no way to shut off the AFM nor is GM offering any real fix for the design flaw.

There are ways to shut off the AFM. Tuning the AFM out is one way , or buying a module that tunes it out. Either way the AFM is eliminated.

OP
OP
powerhaulic

powerhaulic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I turned off the AFM with a bully dog tuner, works great
The only oil consumption i have had in 15000mi is from cooler lines till i replaced them

6.2 afm

muncie21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
~115K on a non-dod 6.2 Denali, no oil loss between oil changes!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n240sxlover