2009 Yukon Denali 6.2 L9H Engine Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Thanks for posting up a few pics of the heart transplant. You’re fortunate to have found another L9H to exchange. Right now they’re as popular as AirPods but just slightly more expensive and hard to find :D

You just reset the change motor indicator back to 0 and good for a minimum of another 150k clicks but likely 200to 250k.

Actifenpleinair

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Today was the day I finally got to pick up my Denali! The hour and a half drive back home was very smooth, with no issues at all. I definitely can tell the difference with the Jasper reman, and I think the transmission shifts much more smoothly with the new torque converter as well. The truck runs much quieter, and I’m not hearing the metallic piston slap that I was hearing under throttle with my original engine.

We don’t know for certain what was making the knocking noise at idle (might have been valve train as some have said), but after getting a glimpse of my old leaky core I’m glad I have a fresh L9H. Might have had something to do with my rear main seal puking oil!

View attachment 404855

View attachment 404858

Here’s a list of what we had replaced:
  • Remanufactured Jasper 6.2 L9H
  • Water pump
  • Replaced all belts
  • Radiator hoses
  • Fuel pump
  • NAPA Thermostat / radiator cap
  • Oil / fuel and air filters
  • PCV Valve
  • Distributor cap
  • Plug wires and spark plugs
  • Remanufactured GM Torque converter
  • Transmission cooler lines
  • Transmission filter / fluid change
  • Flex plate bolts
  • Engine mounts
  • Upper and lower ball joints
  • CV axles
  • Rack & pinion assembly
  • New OEM Hood
I’m real happy we were able to get this truck back on the road. It was great to meet LT and talk for a good half hour before I hit the road. Thanks to everyone on this thread who provided guidance and input. I know I’ll be back with more questions because I have a laundry list of other fixes I’ll taking on myself soon!

View attachment 404856

View attachment 404857
Looking at the list of things they replaced in an earlier one on the original estimate, I noticed a distributor cap? Was not aware 6.2s had those.
Also quote was for 6 qts full synthetic oil, is that what was used for break-in?
I know it's a little nitpicky, but it caught my eye.
Great write up and interesting story about in the shop issues with damage. I had a company car in the shop for a rear end collision in the early 90s. While they were welding it up on the last day, the car caught fire, caught their shop on fire, and then ended up being totaled. I left the company before it was finally resolved. Thanks for Reviving that memory! Lou

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WELP! 7 months later we have our first major issue with the Jasper engine. I started her up this morning and noticed it took longer than usual to crank. Once it started it was running very rough. Check engine light and Stabilitrak light was on as well. Plugged in my scanner and came up with a P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire. Turned it off after a minute or two.

She’s being towed down to Courtesy Automotive down in Colorado Springs. Hoping they can figure it out and I can pick it up in a week or two. We do a lot of trips up to the mountains and I’m just glad this didn’t happen while we were in a remote area.

That noise sounds awful. I'm guessing something valve related. Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst! At least I’m still under warranty for the engine.

IMG_6220.png

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WELP! 7 months later we have our first major issue with the Jasper engine. I started her up this morning and noticed it took longer than usual to crank. Once it started it was running very rough. Plugged in my scanner and came up with a P0303 - Cylinder 3 misfire. Turned it off after a minute or two.

She’s being towed down to Courtesy Automotive down in Colorado Springs. Hoping they can figure it out and I can pick it up in a week or two. We do a lot of trips up to the mountains and I’m just glad this didn’t happen while we were in a remote area.

That noise sounds awful. Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst! At least I’m still under warranty for the engine.

View attachment 422666
Well, shit. Thank goodness it has a warranty. I don't recall - did you replace the engine with one that still has AFM?

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, shit. Thank goodness it has a warranty. I don't recall - did you replace the engine with one that still has AFM?

My original engine and this one did not have AFM. The L9H does have VVT. When I watch this video I can almost hear a similar valve train noise that my original engine was making. The engine we replaced didn’t sound great but it never misfired. This certainly sounds much worse. So bummed but again glad it’s under warranty.

I’m waiting to give my wife the news when she gets home from work AND SHE AINT GONNA BE HAPPY. I just replaced the spark plugs on her 2013 Highlander two months ago because it had a cylinder 6 misfire. Fixed that issue and now here we are with the Denali. LORD HAVE MERCY when it rains it sh*ts lol

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My original engine and this one did not have AFM. The L9H does have VVT. When I watch this video I can almost hear a similar valve train noise that my original engine was making. The engine we replaced didn’t sound great but it never misfired. This certainly sounds much worse. So bummed but again glad it’s under warranty.

I’m waiting to give my wife the news when she gets home from work AND SHE AINT GONNA BE HAPPY. I just replaced the spark plugs on her 2013 Highlander two months ago because it had a cylinder 6 misfire. Fixed that issue and now here we are with the Denali. LORD HAVE MERCY when it rains it sh*ts lol
That's right. Thanks for the reminder. Yeah, that definitely sounds cam related.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Is labor covered under the warranty also?

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is labor covered under the warranty also?
Yes! Labor and parts are covered, only replacement fluids are not covered per Jaspers repair warranty. I can live with that.

I noticed a small coolant leak on the valve cover before I shipped it down to the shop. The coolant was tinged black so I’m guessing somewhere there is oil / coolant mixing where it’s not supposed to be. You can tell from the discoloration on the exhaust manifold where the coolant has been leaking from. When I checked the oil it was dark and brownish colored which is definitely not good. I’m hoping it’s not the milkshake of death.

image0.jpeg

image2.jpeg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! What a roller coaster ride! I just read through your whole thread! Sounded like you had got the truck pretty dialed in with a lot of high mileage maintenance being hammered out with the engine work and it would have been solid for quite a while. She’s a pretty looking truck for sure! Hopefully the shop that did all the work figures out what’s wrong and fixes it up for you! Hate to see these things broken down! I’m a Denali Xl guy myself and I use my 2006 for all the same reasons you do except I live in the mountains. Rarely have my sisters kids in it these days now that they’re in Tennessee and not California, but when they do ride in it they absolutely love the room and big comfy seats. Currently on a mammoth lakes/Utah road trip for snowboarding. I’d be pretty damn bummed if mine were doing what yours is. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon! Hopefully we see you a round a lot after the fixes so we can help you learn things about the truck cuz we love sharing knowledge and helping others fix them! I’ve learned so much from these guys here and it’s why I’ve kept my Denali for so long cuz I know I can work on it, and if there’s something I don’t know how to fix I can figure it out from the collective base of knowledge here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar