Oil for 5.3L to reduce consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperOldSchool

Full Access Member
Reaction score
last 2 oil changes I moved from 0w20 to 5w30.

About 10k miles this way so far.

I have 117k on my truck and wanted to run thicker oil in the summer. I’ll go back to 0w20 for fall and winter.

0w20 is for sure fine and GM spec, I’m just goofy and want a little thicker oil for summer heat.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 5W-30 as well. My CT6 3.0TT requires 5W-30, so I use the same in my 2015 6.2L.

EDIT: That probably didn't help the OP, but here are my thoughts on it. I don't think changing oil brands will cause the mass consumption you are seeing. I have heard "stories" of people changing from dino oil to synthetic, then back to dino oil and it causing oil consumption. But not like what the OP is seeing. I would expect if one's motor is using that much oil they are seeing smoke out the tailpipe or oil on the engine and ground, which he isn't. You might pull a plug or two and bore scope the cylinders. Maybe also look in the intake from the throttle body and see if the intake is oily.

Last edited:

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm concinved it's whatever fuel saving technology they are using. My 87 el camino with an old motor out of school bus burns no oil. It leaks it for sure lol but not burn. My 2002 sequoia still runs strong no leaks or burning. My newer lexus suv definitely burns oil. It's crazy

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to dump the penzoil out and refill with OEM and see what happens. Seems like a lot of consumption to not have a trail of blue smoke behind me. Not sure where it's all going, but I'll see if AC Delco oil makes a difference.
Good plan. Ive heard many stories over the years about oil consumption when switching brands after a motor has been broken in. It seems counter intuitive, but happens. I saw it on my own vehicles over the years.....I now stay away from Pennzoil.

The misfire on #7 probably speaks to one of the cylinders that didn't like the new oil.

Report back after some time

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was considering going up to 0-30 or even 5-30. I'm on the Space Coast of FL and it's already into the 90's here. I know these modern engines are rated for 0-20, but it just seems so thin to me. I'm fine with loosing 0.5 mpg to have better engine protection if heavier oil would provide it.
I would highly recommend going to 5w-30 based onnyour climate. I have a 2017 with the 6.2L in WI and run 5w-30 year round. No issues whatsoever. If you want more comfort, its the REQUIRED oil in the 6.6L HD motor - almost identical architecture. FWIW

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2019 Escalade has this. There IS a *slight* oil leak at the bottom, but not enough to leave drips or puddles AT ALL. However, the engine burns through at least 1 quart of oil every 700 miles. It always has me worried, but I just keep up with checking it and it's been alright. My truck now has 120k miles.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
My 2015 5.3L Yukon recently started burning oil after I switched to penzoil UP. I've owned the truck for 10k miles now (at 63k currently, purchased with 53k). The first oil (done at dealership where I bought it) went 4500 miles without burning more than 1/2 quart. I added a JLT catch can, but would mostly just dump the oil back into the valve cover since it was very clean looking. I had a free oil change so that was done at dealer again and no issues. 1200 miles ago I changed the oil myself using an OEM filter and Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0-20w oil. I used this in all my previous vehicles and had great luck with it, always seemed to make the engines run quieter and smoother. That said, I've added 2.5 quarts since I changed the oil 1200 miles ago. I couldn't believe it, but after adding 1.5 quarts after 500 miles I then needed to add another quart at 1100 miles. Now at 1200 it's showing near the bottom of the safe zone again.

It is not leaking, I've checked over every inch of the undercarriage and it's bone dry, no drops under the vehicle in the driveway either. I'm not noticing any blue smoke and the truck is running fine(ish). It stumbled the other day and threw a code for cyl 7 misfire, but it went away immediately and has been fine other than that.

Any suggestions? I'm assuming these 5.3's don't like penzoil UP perhaps, what should I do?
They usually burn about a half quart between changed if you run em a lil harder than grandma would. But he’ll even with all my oil leaks I only have to add a half quart to a quart between changes. I run pennzoil 10w30 with a quart of marvel

kaiserwillie

Reaction score
The Penzoil is Dexos approved so there should not be any issue with it. However, I find that my truck runs and sounds so much better with Royal Purple. My Vette, wants Mobile 1, so go figure. You might even consider bumping up to 0w-30w. I'm in Florida so the added weight keeps my psi up in the summer heat.
Actually the Penzoil Ultra Platinum is not Dexos approved. Only the Platinum is Dexos approved soon use that.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was considering going up to 0-30 or even 5-30. I'm on the Space Coast of FL and it's already into the 90's here. I know these modern engines are rated for 0-20, but it just seems so thin to me. I'm fine with loosing 0.5 mpg to have better engine protection if heavier oil would provide it.
I live in 24/7 gridlocked Miami Beach. I ONLY use 0w20. I use zero oil between my 5K mile oil changes. I there was a issue with heat using 0w20 I would have know it by now. I now have 162K miles on my 2016 Hoe. Plus I idle here and there to keep the A/C on. I hate this jungle heat.

BTW use ONLY A C Delco and sometimes Mobil 1 EP. No other oils. Use only AC Delco filters.

jaxscuby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
0W20
0 will flow down to -35 F

5W30
5 will flow down to -22 F

The first number with the “W” is the “Winter” value and represents the lowest temperature at which the oil will flow. A lower number means it will still flow at a lower temperature.

once up to operating temperature the differences of fluid viscosity between 0w20 to 5w30 is very minimal.

yeah I know this graph is for 0W30 & 5W30, but you get the idea.

fklshqxi.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz