2009 Yukon Denali 6.2 L9H Engine Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I bought a 2009 Yukon Denali XL a month ago with 143k miles. It has the L9H 6.2 that did not have AFM / DOD from the factory which is why I was so excited about this truck. Unfortunately for me the pre-purchase inspection I had done for the vehicle somehow missed many thousands of dollars in repairs that were needed, such as repairing an oil pan leak, engine oil cooler and potential rear main seal leak. All that plus a CV axle! I’m trying to see if I can salvage the situation. After a few days of owning the truck I determined on my own it had an exhaust leak on the drivers side manifold. Replaced that and then I heard a knocking noise near the oil pan. I’m afraid I bought a truck with a motor that’s on its way to self-destructing.

After finding that rod knock I took the truck to several shops that told me it is indeed time for a rebuilt or replacement engine. In addition to that I have a leaking oil pan and trans cooler lines, and a broken CV axle on drivers side that needs replacing. I have attached two videos of the noise at idle. This is after the engine has gotten to idling temp.

Here is a more thorough inspection report I had done AFTER I bought the truck.

https://shop.tekmetric.com/inspection/W1ITrcRe8c1o1Zkx7uuIxQDwqrd76pPA2XVCsstIorw

Trying to see if I can even afford to keep this truck after an engine rebuild. I have kids and this thing was supposed to be our weekend travel vehicle for road trips up to the mountains. Now I’m afraid to even drive it around town to pick up kids and groceries.

I’m looking to see if anyone can help recommend a good shop in the Denver, CO area who might be able to do a rebuild / cam swap. So far my best quote came from a shop in Goodland, Kansas that is 3 hrs from my house.

I love this truck and it drives great (for now) but this engine definitely sounds like a ticking time bomb. Looking for any guidance on how I should move forward or if I should just quit while I’m ahead and sell for a loss.

Thanks for the suggestions!

IMG_0045.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    462 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that have torn this motor apart and are very familiar with it will chime in.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 09 Tahoe with the same L9H as yours made that noise too. Mine ended up being a valve seat coming loose out of the head. The valve seat eventually broke in half and made its way into a piston and destroyed it. I wouldn't be so sure you have a rod nock, but you should get a good diagnosis of it. If your head is doing what mine did, you're looking at 1k or less in repairs. If yours fails like mine did, it's gonna cost an engine. I'll post a video of what mine sounded like before it blew up

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 09 Tahoe with the same L9H as yours made that noise too. Mine ended up being a valve seat coming loose out of the head. The valve seat eventually broke in half and made its way into a piston and destroyed it. I wouldn't be so sure you have a rod nock, but you should get a good diagnosis of it. If your head is doing what mine did, you're looking at 1k or less in repairs. If yours fails like mine did, it's gonna cost an engine. I'll post a video of what mine sounded like before it blew up
Thanks for the response. I figured I am on borrowed time. I am trying my best to not drive it right now until I definitively know what’s going on. I have had three different shops say I need a new engine but no one wants to replace lifters or anything they just want to drop a crate motor in. I’m taking it to one more shop next week and hoping I can get more clarity on how I can save this engine.

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And yes post that video of what your engine sounded like before it dropped the valve. I might have to drive this thing to a shop that’s 2-3 hrs from my house to do the rebuild so I’m trying to keep it parked until then.

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds pretty much identical to what I’m hearing right now. I’m definitely afraid to drive this thing at all. Hoping to get some more answers next week I spent three days calling shops last week trying to get rebuild quotes but if I destroy my motor before then I’m screwed and can’t afford a crate motor.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kit Performance built my new L9H and he also did a DOD delete on my 09 G8 GT, maybe he can help you out. He's in Erie though, it may be further away from Denver than you'd like to drive it.
kit-performance.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts