2009 Yukon Denali 6.2 L9H Engine Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the list of things they replaced in an earlier one on the original estimate, I noticed a distributor cap? Was not aware 6.2s had those.
Also quote was for 6 qts full synthetic oil, is that what was used for break-in?
I know it's a little nitpicky, but it caught my eye.
Great write up and interesting story about in the shop issues with damage. I had a company car in the shop for a rear end collision in the early 90s. While they were welding it up on the last day, the car caught fire, caught their shop on fire, and then ended up being totaled. I left the company before it was finally resolved. Thanks for Reviving that memory! Lou
6 qts? Should it not hold 8qts?

OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a picture from the shop today that may explain my sudden engine failure. Pictured below is an intake valve for cylinder 3. The valve appears to be burned and isn’t seated. I recalled a few times when cold starting hearing a loud and sudden ‘bark’ coming from around passenger side of the engine compartment. I thought it was the starter having difficulty engaging or contacting the flywheel so I replaced it and the noise persisted. Now I know that was the sound of blow-by as the valve was not completely seated.

123_1.JPEG

I’m surprised that I was able to drive this engine for 7 months / 7k miles with no issues or troubles, but the whole time my block had a massive quality control issue. I’m also surprised Jasper didn’t notice the valve wasn’t seated when the engine was bench tested at the factory. I’m just scratching my head wondering how something like that gets overlooked.

The shop said I should be up and running by Wednesday of next week. They’re going to borescope the new engine before it’s installed to make sure I don’t get burned by the Valve Fairy again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KraftMatic87

KraftMatic87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We’re back in action with a new block! Only down for two weeks and glad we’re back on the road. Had a nice 120 mile drive from the shop in Colorado Springs back to Thornton today with no issues. I’ve been missing that 6.2 for sure. Hoping that we don’t have anymore malice in the combustion palace!

IMG_6519.jpeg

IMG_6522.jpeg

Last edited:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We’re back in action with a new block! Only down for two weeks and glad we’re back on the road. Had a nice 120 mile drive from the shop in Colorado Springs back to Thornton today with no issues. I’ve been missing that 6.2 for sure. Hoping that we don’t have anymore malice in the combustion palace!

View attachment 424105

View attachment 424106
Glad to hear it. It says a lot for Jasper's warranty but unfortunately also for their quality control.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts