Oil consumption

How many actually use oil

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowtiebug

Reaction score
GM was going to cover mine ( cost of cover ) but they wanted $150 to install it , I paid under a $100 for part and installed in 10-15 minutes.

There are 2 different covers depending on year model.

kc8rxq

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 07 5.3 did until I installed the Range!

I didn't start seeing excessive oil consumption until around 85k. The dealership was no help but they did give me a GM writeup that essentially said it was normal "break-in" consumption! While the SUV has 96k on it now there are no signs of traditional oil use or fluid leaks. I'm not that stupid and when I challenged the service writer all I got was a blank look and a shrug of the shoulders. Anyway, the Range Technologies module appears to work as advertised so long as I remember to unplug it when sitting for more than a day. I really hope this SLT lasts a really long time and I appreciate all the forum topics.

Ed L.
2007 Yukon SLT, 5.3l, 4WD, Black w/gray interior

Bowtiebug

Reaction score
Not sure there's a need to unplug the range module , before I got my BB tune I had a range module installed and my Tahoe sits for weeks at a time and never any issues .

kc8rxq

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ed, why do you need to unplug the range module?

There was a post or two some time back that indicated some users were experiencing battery rundown with the Range Technologies unit plugged in. I tried it both ways and have not seen the need to unplug it after all.

So far it looks like the oil consumption has curtailed and I have not replaced the valve cover. I'll just keep checking as time goes by.

Also, I'm almost at 100k (bought new in May '07) miles and as a sanity check I priced a new, and a used, 2015 SLT. Sticker shock has a way of deflating that new car bug in a hurry so I'll keep this one as long as I can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz