Now What?!?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A week or two ago, while we were removing the wheel well liners, we noticed that the #4 spark plug was loose. The wire and shield were bouncing around and exhaust gases were coming out from around the plug. No misfires or CELs.

A few days later I inspected the plug, screwed it back in and put dielectric grease on the plug tip and wire that connects to the coil. All was good when we fired the engine.

On Saturday my daughters changed the oil and filter. Well, they drained the oil on Saturday and put the new filter on about 1/2 full of oil and on Sunday morning filled the motor with oil. Oil level is good. The next day we fired the motor and it made a funny sound that I cannot remember anymore and was also smoking, like an exhaust leak around #2. This turned out to be spilled oil.

On Thursday night we fired the motor again, I was at the wheel and it took a moment for the oil pressure to come up. This usually happens when the truck sits for more than a week. AFTER the pressure came up, a ticking sound began on the right bank, around #4 or #6.

Tech-2 shows no misfires and turning off those injectors results in dropped rpms. Took her for a test drive and she runs normal and as before, even on the highway. Traffic did not allow me to go full throttle.

Today the motor started again quiet but seconds later the tick started on that side. When using the mechanics stethoscope, we hear it in the injectors, loudest on the right bank and at #4. The exhaust manifolds are quiet, intake is quiet, touching the valve cover bolts, you can hear it a little. It can barely be heard on the driver's side outside, but you can hear it good on the passenger side even walking towards the rear of the truck.

The motor is on E85 currently, 3/4 tank. Fuel Trims are great, better than normal and at or close to zero (LTFTs).

Any ideas?

A collapsed lifter with no misfires?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A week or two ago, while we were removing the wheel well liners, we noticed that the #4 spark plug was loose. The wire and shield were bouncing around and exhaust gases were coming out from around the plug. No misfires or CELs.

A few days later I inspected the plug, screwed it back in and put dielectric grease on the plug tip and wire that connects to the coil. All was good when we fired the engine.

On Saturday my daughters changed the oil and filter. Well, they drained the oil on Saturday and put the new filter on about 1/2 full of oil and on Sunday morning filled the motor with oil. Oil level is good. The next day we fired the motor and it made a funny sound that I cannot remember anymore and was also smoking, like an exhaust leak around #2. This turned out to be spilled oil.

On Thursday night we fired the motor again, I was at the wheel and it took a moment for the oil pressure to come up. This usually happens when the truck sits for more than a week. AFTER the pressure came up, a ticking sound began on the right bank, around #4 or #6.

Tech-2 shows no misfires and turning off those injectors results in dropped rpms. Took her for a test drive and she runs normal and as before, even on the highway. Traffic did not allow me to go full throttle.

Today the motor started again quiet but seconds later the tick started on that side. When using the mechanics stethoscope, we hear it in the injectors, loudest on the right bank and at #4. The exhaust manifolds are quiet, intake is quiet, touching the valve cover bolts, you can hear it a little. It can barely be heard on the driver's side outside, but you can hear it good on the passenger side even walking towards the rear of the truck.

The motor is on E85 currently, 3/4 tank. Fuel Trims are great, better than normal and at or close to zero (LTFTs).

Any ideas?

A collapsed lifter with no misfires?

I forget- is your AFM disabled? I was gonna say to have someone stick their head out of the passenger window and listen while you drive to see if it changes as AFM engages and disengages. Loudest around #4, starts and stops with oil pressure... My guess is a funky AFM lifter.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forget- is your AFM disabled? I was gonna say to have someone stick their head out of the passenger window and listen while you drive to see if it changes as AFM engages and disengages. Loudest around #4, starts and stops with oil pressure... My guess is a funky AFM lifter.

AFM disabled since 2017. Noise happens faster as rpms go up. If it is a lifter Chris, why no CELs or misfires?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The lifter can be noisy enough to hear before it gets bad enough to cause a misfire. Does the noise ever go away? Does it increase with more rpm? Is it louder with higher rpm?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lifter can be noisy enough to hear before it gets bad enough to cause a misfire. Does the noise ever go away? Does it increase with more rpm? Is it louder with higher rpm?

Thanks Ron. So far the noise has not gone away. It does increase with RPM but does not get louder. My ears seem to make me think it gets quieter the higher the rpms but my kids disagree with me.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would just keep an eye/ear on it for now and see what happens on next oil change, unless of course the noise gets worse. Sounds like a lifter starting to give you problems.

I am curious about something though. Why the wait times on the oil change?

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just keep an eye/ear on it for now and see what happens on next oil change, unless of course the noise gets worse. Sounds like a lifter starting to give you problems.

I am curious about something though. Why the wait times on the oil change?

Well, my back was shot by that time and the kids were helping me. As the sun goes down, we had artificial light but the skeeters were coming out and chewing us up so we called it quits and went inside. Other times it was time to play volleyball or go out to dinner with their friends, etc. Poor old Dad has to work around their social and work schedules you know! LOL

Also, we replaced the upper and lower control arms, rebuilt the struts with all new components save for the strut mounts, changed the driver's side engine mount, replaced the wheel well liners, front bumper and headlamps and fog lamps with all new OE and had the dealer paint the new bumper. It was an ambitious project with a few more things to do yet and now the motor issue.

My wife is upset because she scheduled a vacation, took time off from work and now we can't go anywhere until I determine if she's safe to run as is or not. We also have to tighten the upper control arm nuts. I was able to re-use the plastic inserts for the alignment cams and replaced the outer tie rods in exactly the same position they came out of so I think we'll skip the alignment for now. Haven't measured the tires but they look to be about 4/32nds tread depth at most, time for new ones in my book.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I could be of some help on your issue, but unfortunately, you probably have forgotten more about these trucks than I likely have time left to learn. By your description, it does sound like lifter noise. :(

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Rent a car and go on vacation? (If you can get one, I hear they’re in short supply).

Better a happy wife than not. Deal with the truck later.

Beat me to it. Rent a rig. Hell, rent a big ol' honking Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban.

Plus, I would not send the wife on a vaca with 4/32 tread depth. Unless your life insurance payments are up to date.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14