My From Start to Finish 6.0L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After looking over my order for the windage tray, I ordered one, paid for one and they shipped two. Will call them today and see if they want the second one back - otherwise I will end having a spare (not that I need one). As my wife said - just add to the rest of my "spares".

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub I did read about the billet o-ring barbell. My only concern is where I purchase it from - a need a reputable source, I've read some of the "cheapies" or "knock offs" don't use a reliable o-ring. Do you have a good source? My engine block came with the "plastic" barbell. The original 5.3L was also plastic. Good idea on the RTV suggestion. Thanks for the input.

As @Tonyrodz linked- SacCity is the default go-to and is the one I have. That one you got from Improved looks just as good, if not better. There are a few good options, that's why I didn't link to any one in particular when I originally mentioned it.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @Tonyrodz linked- SacCity is the default go-to and is the one I have. That one you got from Improved looks just as good, if not better. There are a few good options, that's why I didn't link to any one in particular when I originally mentioned it.
I appreciate you for bringing it up in the first place. I was going to just use the one that came with my block. Your suggestion prompted me to make the time and do some additional research. Plenty of builds out there and data that suggests going this route if you already have things opened up. I was looking at @Tonyrodz pick before he provided the link, in fact I looked at several. So, I decided to reach out to the machine shop I've used in the past and he suggested the one I bought. So, back to data collecting and based on a few pieces of information, pulled the trigger on this one. The support I get from this forum is great and I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate you for bringing it up in the first place. I was going to just use the one that came with my block. Your suggestion prompted me to make the time and do some additional research. Plenty of builds out there and data that suggests going this route if you already have things opened up. I was looking at @Tonyrodz pick before he provided the link, in fact I looked at several. So, I decided to reach out to the machine shop I've used the past and he suggested the one I bought. So, back to data collecting and based on a few pieces of information, pulled the trigger on this one. The support I get from this forum is great and I appreciate all the comments and suggestions.

Yup! It's not something to tear into an engine to do exclusively. But definitely another "may as well while I'm here" things. I almost suggested porting that new oil pump, but it's NOT necessary and more of a "bored and wanna be cool" thing. :p

Don't worry- there are plenty here to help you spend your money!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The paint I'm using is VHT (Very High Temperature). I've used this paint before on other projects. Variety of colors and types. Easy to use and holds up very well.
I’ve used their crinkle paint on a few of the cast aluminum parts like rocker covers, brackets etc. It holds up well and the crinkle effect covers the cast blemishes so I wasn’t tempted to try to sand them smooth which would have been nuts. I even painted my transfer case with it when I had it out. That one I wasn’t able to heat cure it but it held up pretty well anyway.
Edit: forgot to mention their website states “ the inherent heat of engine operation will also accomplish curing” but I doubt my transfer case accomplished high enough temp.

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you for the response and suggestion. I carved out a little time from my schedule and did some additional research and ended purchasing a barbell (Improved Racing) from Amazon. It received great reviews and the o-rings were also the right material. Made in USA. We'll see when it gets delivered on Friday.

This is the one I have. Hopefully it holds up for some time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01