My From Start to Finish 6.0L Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My oil pump, timing cover, gasket and seal were delivered yesterday (a day early). My rear seal and gasket are scheduled to deliver today. The windage tray is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow along with the correct hardware to install both the oil pump and timing cover.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Painted my timing gear cover tonight. Looks great. Will "cure" it tomorrow. I'll post a picture once it's cured or maybe when it is installed. All parts that were scheduled to be delivered today were on my front porch when I got home from work.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should have all the parts to put together the front and real seals and covers tis week. The rear cover prepped for install.

View attachment 391328

View attachment 391329

That rear cover reminds me- I recommend the billet O-ring barbell. It's probably overkill, but it's safe overkill. Speaking of covers and seals, I like to smear a thin coat of RTV on the front crank seal before pressing it into place. Just extra insurance.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That rear cover reminds me- I recommend the billet O-ring barbell. It's probably overkill, but it's safe overkill. Speaking of covers and seals, I like to smear a thin coat of RTV on the front crank seal before pressing it into place. Just extra insurance.
@iamdub I did read about the billet o-ring barbell. My only concern is where I purchase it from - a need a reputable source, I've read some of the "cheapies" or "knock offs" don't use a reliable o-ring. Do you have a good source? My engine block came with the "plastic" barbell. The original 5.3L was also plastic. Good idea on the RTV suggestion. Thanks for the input.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
@iamdub I did read about the billet o-ring barbell. My only concern is where I purchase it from - a need a reputable source, I've read some of the "cheapies" or "knock offs" don't use a reliable o-ring. Do you have a good source? My engine block came with the "plastic" barbell. The original 5.3L was also plastic. Good idea on the RTV suggestion. Thanks for the input.
Screenshot_20230208-173025_Amazon Shopping.jpg
LS Billet Barbell Oil Diverter GM Gen III IV LS Engines LS1-2-3-6-7-9-LQ4-LQ9-4.8L-5.3L-6.0L-6.2L & More! https://a.co/d/20gaH1T

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 391533
LS Billet Barbell Oil Diverter GM Gen III IV LS Engines LS1-2-3-6-7-9-LQ4-LQ9-4.8L-5.3L-6.0L-6.2L & More! https://a.co/d/20gaH1T
Awesome. Thank you for the response and suggestion. I carved out a little time from my schedule and did some additional research and ended purchasing a barbell (Improved Racing) from Amazon. It received great reviews and the o-rings were also the right material. Made in USA. We'll see when it gets delivered on Friday.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set up my curing station for my timing gear cover. Ended up using a heat gun, didn't want to stick this in our oven (my wife would not be happy) due to off gassing. With this setup I was able to maintain 200 degrees F for over two hours. Final product turned out great. Can't wait to get this installed. I also received my windage tray today - actually received two, not sure why. I will be verifying tonight if it was my mistake or theirs.

My Set Up.jpg

Timing Gear Cover.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set up my curing station for my timing gear cover. Ended up using a heat gun, didn't want to stick this in our oven (my wife would not be happy) due to off gassing. With this setup I was able to maintain 200 degrees F for over two hours. Final product turned out great. Can't wait to get this installed. I also received my windage tray today - actually received two, not sure why. I will be verifying tonight if it was my mistake or theirs.

View attachment 391553

View attachment 391554
Looks great. What brand of paint are you using?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE