Mufflers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrsteef

Reaction score
thinking about buying a cheap chambered muffler, for now until I can buy another Corsa Sport. I know summit has them. I would only be swapping out the muffle and leaving from there back on the truck. Any idea if this is worth it as far as a little upgrade in sound? I’m just over the factory sound of the truck lol. Also anyone know the length of the factory muffler? I haven’t had a chance to measure myself.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the flowmaster 40 series is a relatively cheap and easy upgrade

a single chamber is probably a little loud if you like that (might be a little overbearing for some)
a 2 chamber is ok (that's what I use, it's a little loud when getting on it at certain rpm's but not terrible)
a 3 chamber is more quiet

OP
OP
Mrsteef

Mrsteef

Reaction score
I’m thinking a 2 chamber since I have my kids in back sometimes not wanting to have it welded on because eventually want to change out the exhaust. Noticed they only sell it in 2.25, 2.5, and 3 inch sizes. Might be a problem when clamping

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chambered mufflers are usually a big jump from the stock muffler as far as loudness. Ever considered a perforated style? The Magnaflow 12589 is pretty much the standard for "a little more than stock with no "in-cabin" noise. The next step in aggressiveness from that is the Magnaflow 12259. AP Exhaust makes copies of these mufflers for half the price. Their XS2589 (Magnaflow 12589 copy) is $64 and their XS1259 (Magnaflow 12259 copy) is $50 on Amazon. The "stock-like-but-a-little-more" is 22" long and the other is 18".

The Stock muffler is right about 28" with a center in/offset out configuration. If not welding it, I'd slip the stock exhaust inside the bigger aftermarket muffler's pipe and clamp it down. Cutting some slots in the 3" pipes (the ones coming out of the ends of the muffler) will let it clamp down more easily. You'll need pieces of pipe to make up the difference in muffler body length, so getting some 2.75"-3" adapters (reducers) will help with fitting the size and taking up some of the extra space.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Chambered mufflers are usually a big jump from the stock muffler as far as loudness. Ever considered a perforated style? The Magnaflow 12589 is pretty much the standard for "a little more than stock with no "in-cabin" noise. The next step in aggressiveness from that is the Magnaflow 12259. AP Exhaust makes copies of these mufflers for half the price. Their XS2589 (Magnaflow 12589 copy) is $64 and their XS1259 (Magnaflow 12259 copy) is $50 on Amazon. The "stock-like-but-a-little-more" is 22" long and the other is 18".

The Stock muffler is right about 28" with a center in/offset out configuration. If not welding it, I'd slip the stock exhaust inside the bigger aftermarket muffler's pipe and clamp it down. Cutting some slots in the 3" pipes (the ones coming out of the ends of the muffler) will let it clamp down more easily. You'll need pieces of pipe to make up the difference in muffler body length, so getting some 2.75"-3" adapters (reducers) will help with fitting the size and taking up some of the extra space.
Good to know. I think eventually I might change mine to something a little less "annoying" as my gf says. She says she's tired of getting dirty looks and getting cursed out by people lol--because it's so loud.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ That sounds surprisingly good for that type of muffler! And so cheap! I can't believe you don't have drone. You gotta at least hear it in the cabin, yeah?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thrush welded is a flowmaster knock off in using it on my 5.7. its pretty cheap and sounds good. especially if its just temporary for you until you get another corsa

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its a universal muffler tonyrodz so you probably wont be able to match it to a specific engine. its a pretty free flowing muffler (jonas) so the one he linked is 3 in inlet and outlet if your exhaust is already 3in that muffler should work fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC