Lower Arm making contact with knuckle…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 17’ LS lowered 2/3 on Belltech struts and a a Hellwig sway bar. Soon after the install I started noticing a slight clunking sound when doing a full turn L or R while backing or forwards usually on uneven ground. I checked ball joints, tie rods, strut sway bar and all good.

Today I noticed this on the back of the knuckle.

IMG_1638.jpegIMG_1639.jpegIMG_1640.jpegIMG_1641.jpegIMG_1643.jpeg

Has anyone had this issue? Could this be my clunking sound?

OP
OP
GranPrix

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you found the source of your noise!

Does the noise not happen if you back the wheel off of the turn just a few degrees?
No it doesn't at all. I only tried it a few times though so I'm going to keep trying another day or two.

OP
OP
GranPrix

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you look closely, you will see that where the contact point is, the arm and knuckle are built up. Those are the steering stops. Gob some grease on those points and drive as before and see if the noise goes away.
I doubt that will stop the loud clunk. It's as if it clunks loudly when the weight shifts. I might Dremel it a bit to shave it down and smooth it out. I'll add some grease after and see if it helps any

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt that will stop the loud clunk. It's as if it clunks loudly when the weight shifts. I might Dremel it a bit to shave it down and smooth it out. I'll add some grease after and see if it helps any

Grinding it down would just let it turn a hair further but it's still the steering stop. Changing the shape and smoothing it might change the severity of the noise, though. When the knuckle is against it and you accelerate forward or back, there's a LOT of weight shifting so it's gonna move and make a noise. You might luck up and make the two surfaces glide smoothly by reshaping and greasing them. My S10 made a loud "click" if I hit the gas with the wheels turned all the way. Apparently, it was a common thing with the ZQ8 models (factory lowered sport suspension). It never did it again after I lowered it further with aftermarket knuckles.

OP
OP
GranPrix

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I’m still getting a clunk and I’m not even locking the steering wheel.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I’m still getting a clunk and I’m not even locking the steering wheel.

Have you tried the wheels turned to maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of their travel, holding the brake really firmly and goosing the throttle? Try it in forward and reverse and with the wheels turned both directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Benito r

Latest posts