Low Oil Pressure ,Next Step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014PPV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2014 Tahoe PPV 5.3 146000 miles

Problem :Low oil pressure.

Symptoms: Check Engine Light, No noticeable ticking or unusual engine noise, No Stop Engine Warning

Work Performed so far: Change oil and filter using GM parts. Replaced pressure sensor and screen, and pickup tube O ring.

Manual check of oil pressure @ oil filter # 26 on startup # 20after warmup @800
Manual check of oil pressure @ sensor #20 on startup # 10 after warmup @800

Trying to decide if I should change out the oil pump or what the next step should be. Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2014 Tahoe PPV 5.3 146000 miles

Problem :Low oil pressure.

Symptoms: Check Engine Light, No noticeable ticking or unusual engine noise, No Stop Engine Warning

Work Performed so far: Change oil and filter using GM parts. Replaced pressure sensor and screen, and pickup tube O ring.

Manual check of oil pressure @ oil filter # 26 on startup # 20after warmup @800
Manual check of oil pressure @ sensor #20 on startup # 10 after warmup @800

Trying to decide if I should change out the oil pump or what the next step should be. Any constructive advice would be appreciated.
Bummer man. There are a few things that can cause low oil pressure beyond what you're tried so far:

1/ Are you sure you installed the correct o-ring in your pickup tube? Also, sometimes they can get nicked slightly on install. Happened to me and I had to pull it out all over again.
2/ Oil pump can indeed be the problem. When I did the o-ring the second time, I just went ahead and replaced the pump with a Melling high volume unit and used their thick green o-ring. It's slightly thicker even than the OEM one is for this engine. No more problems.
3/ Cam bearing wear can also cause this problem. As a PPV yours likely has many, many idling hours on it.
4/ Bad pressure spring in the oil pump outlet.
5/ Dog bone in the oil gallery at the rear of the engine can leak and bleed off pressure.
6/ Pressure relief valve in the oil pan can stick and cause low oil pressure.

OP
OP

2014PPV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I decided to replace the oil pump with a Melling high-volume pump. I have it broken down to replace oil pump waiting for the parts to arrive. I check the oring on the pickup tube and it was a tight fit. The pressure relief valve in the oil pan seemed O.K. but will replace it just to be sure. The oil pump has some wear but nothing significate. The pressure relief piston looked good and did not seem to be sticking, not sure about the spring. I'm really thinking it's the cam bearings but hoping the HV pump will make some difference until I can have someone who knows better equipped to replace the bearings or do a motor swap.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that does seem low. following along to see what you find forsure.

for more story, what oil are you running, and how many miles on the oil at the test? you're pretty close to what I've seen listed as service limits.. have you checked the vlom cover bolts to see if they lose? I have seen theorys when they are lose it can bypass oil.

also there is a 2nd option no one really consideres or know exists, but the variable displacement pump from the hybrid is said to fit any ls.. seen some posts on the corvette sites about them. the newer LT engines switched to variable displacement pumps on all of them. millings has a part number listed. they are said to save 1.5hp.. and judging by my truck. run high pressure. mines like 40 at idle on super hot day long trip and high mile oil. sits on 60 mark most other times. I'm guessing that's the afm bypass psi of 58 ish. good enough I'm going to try 0w20 next change.

before you pulled it all apart, did you consider just running a thicker oil? like a 10w40?

OP
OP

2014PPV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Before running the test I changed the oil using 10w-30 synthetic. I tried 10w-30 with a quart of Lucas HD oil stabilizer prior to the manual test with no noticeable change in idle oil pressure. I failed to mention at approx. 2500 rpm I have 30 # of pressure after warmup. I was hoping the pressure drop at idle after warmup would help point me in the right direction of what the problem may be.
I will check the vlom cover bolts to see if they are loose as you suggested.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, I'm supised Lucas didn't bring it up a lot. I've got some old worn out Detroit diesel engines at work.. they idle about 2 psi when warm and set off lights on 15w50. add some Lucas and they come right up and idle with decent pressure. that stuff is thick

Humm. interesting to see the results.

OP
OP

2014PPV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Finally, installed the Melling high-volume pump along with a new bypass spring that is mounted in the oil pan and fresh 10w-30 synthetic. I have not performed a manual oil pressure check, but I am still only getting 20 # at 600-700 Idle on startup and 12 #at 600-700 idle on the gauges. Check engine light has cleared. I only getting about 25#at 60 mph (I stated 30# in my first post but I believe I was incorrect).

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's probably your bearing clearances then. You don't have the AFM stuff, do you?

I would switch to higher oil weight and keep running it, but have an overhaul in mind for the future.

OP
OP

2014PPV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
"It's probably your bearing clearances then." I agree and yes I still have the AFM stuff

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts